linux-doc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [GIT PULL] Documentation: Add AFBC modifier usage documentation
@ 2019-01-11 18:07 Liviu Dudau
From: Liviu Dudau @ 2019-01-11 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: Brian Starkey, Ayan Halder, Daniel Vetter, linux-doc

Hi Jonathan,

I have a patch adding documentation for the AFBC modifiers supported
by the DRM framework with an upcoming patch series. Patch has been
out for review for a while, please pull.

The include/uapi/drm/drm_fourcc.h change is only a comment pointing
towards the file's location, I hope this is fine to pull via your tree.

Many thanks,
Liviu

The following changes since commit bfeffd155283772bbe78c6a05dec7c0128ee500c:

  Linux 5.0-rc1 (2019-01-06 17:08:20 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://linux-arm.org/linux-ld.git for-upstream/documentation

for you to fetch changes up to 3affaa5a7ca3ca114e01049bc45e3ed4a3955505:

  drm/afbc: Add AFBC modifier usage documentation (2019-01-11 17:52:06 +0000)

Brian Starkey (1):
      drm/afbc: Add AFBC modifier usage documentation

 Documentation/gpu/afbc.rst    | 235 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Documentation/gpu/drivers.rst |   1 +
 MAINTAINERS                   |   3 +-
 include/uapi/drm/drm_fourcc.h |   3 +
 create mode 100644 Documentation/gpu/afbc.rst

--
====================
| I would like to |

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation: Add AFBC modifier usage documentation
@ 2019-01-11 18:12 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2019-01-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liviu Dudau; +Cc: Brian Starkey, Ayan Halder, Daniel Vetter, linux-doc

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:07:49 +0000
Liviu Dudau <Liviu.Dudau@arm.com> wrote:

> I have a patch adding documentation for the AFBC modifiers supported
> by the DRM framework with an upcoming patch series. Patch has been
> out for review for a while, please pull.
>
> The include/uapi/drm/drm_fourcc.h change is only a comment pointing
> towards the file's location, I hope this is fine to pull via your tree.

I guess I can merge this (though I'd rather get it as a patch), but GPU
stuff normally goes up through the DRM tree.  Daniel, might you be
planning to grab this one?

Thanks,

jon

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation: Add AFBC modifier usage documentation
@ 2019-01-11 18:13 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2019-01-11 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liviu Dudau
  Cc: Jonathan Corbet, Brian Starkey, Ayan Halder, Daniel Vetter, linux-doc

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:07:49PM +0000, Liviu Dudau wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I have a patch adding documentation for the AFBC modifiers supported
> by the DRM framework with an upcoming patch series. Patch has been
> out for review for a while, please pull.

Nowhere in this email do you say what "AFBC" stands for or is.  Intel are
awful for acronyms.  ARM are rapidly getting as bad, or worse.  Nobody
else cares as deeply about your project as you do.  Provide some kind
of clue about what you're doing and why anybody else should care.

* Re: [GIT PULL] Documentation: Add AFBC modifier usage documentation
@ 2019-01-13 22:27   ` Liviu Dudau
From: Liviu Dudau @ 2019-01-13 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox
  Cc: Jonathan Corbet, Brian Starkey, Ayan Halder, Daniel Vetter, linux-doc

Hi Matthew,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:13:44AM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 06:07:49PM +0000, Liviu Dudau wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > I have a patch adding documentation for the AFBC modifiers supported
> > by the DRM framework with an upcoming patch series. Patch has been
> > out for review for a while, please pull.
>
> Nowhere in this email do you say what "AFBC" stands for or is.  Intel are
> awful for acronyms.  ARM are rapidly getting as bad, or worse.  Nobody
> else cares as deeply about your project as you do.  Provide some kind
> of clue about what you're doing and why anybody else should care.

While your critique is pertinent, I think you're forgetting this is a
pull request, not a patch. I didn't think that a pull request for a
patch that has been on the mailing list for a while and that contains
documentation that explains clearly what "AFBC" stands for (Arm
FrameBuffer Compression, for the record) needs to have the additional
information inserted there. At least in my experience, pull requests
explain why the request has been sent and what patches it contains,
not descriptions of what is inside the patches, because those are
handled via different methods.

Best regards,
Liviu

--
====================
| I would like to |

@ 2019-01-13 22:28   ` Liviu Dudau
From: Liviu Dudau @ 2019-01-13 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet; +Cc: Brian Starkey, Ayan Halder, Daniel Vetter, linux-doc

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:12:34AM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:07:49 +0000
> Liviu Dudau <Liviu.Dudau@arm.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a patch adding documentation for the AFBC modifiers supported
> > by the DRM framework with an upcoming patch series. Patch has been
> > out for review for a while, please pull.
> >
> > The include/uapi/drm/drm_fourcc.h change is only a comment pointing
> > towards the file's location, I hope this is fine to pull via your tree.
>
> I guess I can merge this (though I'd rather get it as a patch), but GPU
> stuff normally goes up through the DRM tree.  Daniel, might you be
> planning to grab this one?

I thought anything under Documentation goes via your tree. If that's not
the case, don't worry, I can push it via drm-misc tree.

Best regards,
Liviu

--
| I would like to |