linux-doc.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Backing up the PGP master key
@ 2020-10-14 21:34 Jarkko Sakkinen
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2020-10-14 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev
  Cc: Alexander A. Klimov, Miguel Ojeda, linux-doc, linux-kernel

Konstantin, writing to you based on 'git blame' :-)

The maintainer guide recommends using paperkey for the PGP master key,
which is a prefectly sane method.

I was just wondering that isn't a backup to a USB stick a reasonable
option? E.g. get a few USB sticks (new, unweared), store your master key
to each of them and put to safe.

/Jarkko

* Re: Backing up the PGP master key
@ 2020-10-17 13:50 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-10-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Sakkinen
  Cc: Alexander A. Klimov, Miguel Ojeda, linux-doc, linux-kernel

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:34:06AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> Konstantin, writing to you based on 'git blame' :-)
>
> The maintainer guide recommends using paperkey for the PGP master key,
> which is a prefectly sane method.
>
> I was just wondering that isn't a backup to a USB stick a reasonable
> option? E.g. get a few USB sticks (new, unweared), store your master key
> to each of them and put to safe.

Sure, it's an option as well. I believe the guide recommends three
different backups:

1. thumb drive within reach for regular access
2. another drive in case the first one goes bad
3. paperkey backup in the vault

There's no reason why #2 above can't go into the vault as well, if
you're inclined. I wouldn't skip paperkey, since I'm generally wary of
putting anything long-term onto electronic media due to things like
charge decay, cosmic rays, or other weird phenomena resulting in flipped
bits.

-K