linux-efi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* 5.3.1: x86: efi stub seems to fail to load initrd file
@ 2019-10-01 22:11 Thomas Meyer
From: Thomas Meyer @ 2019-10-01 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-efi

Hi,

I've got this old x86 MacBookPro1,1 and I wanted to switch to systemd-boot.

systemd-boot works fine but the Linux efistub somehow fails to load the initrd, sadly the monitor seems to be switched off/no backlight after systemd-boot menu selection and Linux kernel starting efifb.

Any ideas what could be the culprit?
I tried to boot with efi=nochunk but same result.

I tried to understand what systemd boot does for file loading and what libefistub does, it looks very similar.

So any ideas and hints are welcome what is maybe wrong in my setup.

When I embedded the initramfs in the kernel, boot of Linux and system works correctly.

Ps: all efi_printk seems to be lost in the kernel. Is there a way to transfer this into the kernel somehow?

With kind regards
Thomas

* Re: 5.3.1: x86: efi stub seems to fail to load initrd file
@ 2019-10-02  7:57 ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2019-10-02  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Meyer; +Cc: linux-efi

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 00:42, Thomas Meyer <thomas@m3y3r.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got this old x86 MacBookPro1,1 and I wanted to switch to systemd-boot.
>
> systemd-boot works fine but the Linux efistub somehow fails to load the initrd, sadly the monitor seems to be switched off/no backlight after systemd-boot menu selection and Linux kernel starting efifb.
>
> Any ideas what could be the culprit?
> I tried to boot with efi=nochunk but same result.
>
> I tried to understand what systemd boot does for file loading and what libefistub does, it looks very similar.
>
> So any ideas and hints are welcome what is maybe wrong in my setup.
>
> When I embedded the initramfs in the kernel, boot of Linux and system works correctly.
>
> Ps: all efi_printk seems to be lost in the kernel. Is there a way to transfer this into the kernel somehow?

Unfortunately not. Do you actually see the output? (which may require
removing 'quiet' from the command line) If so, can you capture it with
your phone camera perhaps?