linux-f2fs-devel.lists.sourceforge.net archive mirror
* [f2fs-dev] mkfs.f2fs -f to reformat Btrfs partition doesn't change FS type
@ 2021-09-07 13:18 S.
From: S. @ 2021-09-07 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-f2fs-devel

Hi there, I develop Linux spins based on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Currently the base system has Linux 5.14.0 and f2fs-tools 1.14.0. There is a bug that I can consistently reproduce with:
# mkfs.f2fs -f /dev/sda1
When the prior filesystem of /dev/sda1 is Btrfs, the `mkfs.f2fs` command is successful, but the filesystem type remains "Btrfs". Then the filesystem can be manually mounted with `mount -t f2fs ####` but only manually, the wrong FS type confuses the Linux boot process and won't allow it to mount in the case of a root partition. This appears to only happen when the previous filesystem is Btrfs. I have tested this bug to *not* occur when the previous filesystem is EXT4 and XFS.
Thanks a lot!

* Re: [f2fs-dev] mkfs.f2fs -f to reformat Btrfs partition doesn't change FS type
@ 2021-09-10 22:58 ` Jaegeuk Kim
From: Jaegeuk Kim @ 2021-09-10 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.; +Cc: linux-f2fs-devel

On 09/07, S. wrote:
> Hi there, I develop Linux spins based on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Currently the base system has Linux 5.14.0 and f2fs-tools 1.14.0. There is a bug that I can consistently reproduce with:
> # mkfs.f2fs -f /dev/sda1
> When the prior filesystem of /dev/sda1 is Btrfs, the `mkfs.f2fs` command is successful, but the filesystem type remains "Btrfs". Then the filesystem can be manually mounted with `mount -t f2fs ####` but only manually, the wrong FS type confuses the Linux boot process and won't allow it to mount in the case of a root partition. This appears to only happen when the previous filesystem is Btrfs. I have tested this bug to *not* occur when the previous filesystem is EXT4 and XFS.

It seems mkfs.f2fs didn't wipe the BTRFS magic since that is unused critical
space in f2fs. Anyway, I think it's worth to fix it.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-f2fs-devel/20210910225618.501839-1-jaegeuk@kernel.org/T/#u