linux-firmware.lore.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Zamir SUN <sztsian@gmail.com>
To: Jeremy MJ <jskier@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-firmware@kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question about rtl8761b Realtek bluetooth dongle firmware
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 22:04:09 +0800	[thread overview]

On 8/4/20 10:14 PM, Jeremy MJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have reached out to realtek to inquire about licensing and
> permissibility of inclusion of the firmware to linux-firmware, will
> update if / when I hear back.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. Just fyi, I've ever send email to the latest
Realtek btrtl submitter of linux-firmware (hildawu@), but I did not get
any reply till now.

I can share where the firmware stays in the Windows driver, but I'm
reluctant because I don't know if it is proper to share it publicly.
Getting confirmation from the Realtek engineers is definitely preferred.

> This came up with another user on the Mint forums, who has a specific
> brand using this chipset which provides beta Linux drivers and
> firmware:
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=319260&e=1

Well, I cannot read the thread. Looks like account needed and register
requires a really complex password.. That said, I will try again to read
it later.

> I have tested both the driver and the firmware in linux 5.8; both
> appear to mostly work (a couple of unexpected event for opcode errors
> with the bluetooth module when using the firmware).

The driver itself got merged in kernel 5.8. And to be a little verbose,
I'm not sure if distribution packaging (rpm/deb etc.) will try to detect
the firmware automatically so I did *not* add a MODULE_FIRMWARE line in
the patch. That shouldn't affect the user as I can listen to music using
the 5.8 kernel without any hack to the driver (if copying the firmware
is not called a hack).

The only error I see is the "command 0x2038 tx timeout". And I do
realize that there are compatible issues (the adapter + firmware can
only pare with my newest headset, not the ones that I bought over 3
years ago). Not sure if it is a driver issue or my userspace problems.

The config error is benign. This do not require a config binary.

[  544.152212] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: examining hci_ver=0a hci_rev=000b
lmp_ver=0a lmp_subver=8761
[  544.153186] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: rom_version status=0 version=1
[  544.153190] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761b_fw.bin
[  544.153337] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8761b_config.bin
[  544.153366] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for
rtl_bt/rtl8761b_config.bin failed with error -2
[  544.153372] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: cfg_sz -2, total sz 18788
[  544.260240] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: fw version 0xd898c37c
[  546.382558] Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x2038 tx timeout
[  595.434875] Bluetooth: hci0: Ignoring error of Inquiry Cancel command
[  844.482285] debugfs: File 'force_bredr_smp' in directory 'hci0'
already present!
[  846.539979] Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x2038 tx timeout

> Thank you Zamir for your work on the initial device recognition issue.
> Would be nice to have broader support of bt5 dongles in Linux.

Thanks again for bringing this up. And let's wish hardware vendors can
do more good to Linux community in the future.

--
Zamir SUN
Fedora user