linux-firmware.lore.kernel.org archive mirror
* RPi 4B wireless firmware update?
@ 2021-03-22 20:59 maximilian attems
From: maximilian attems @ 2021-03-22 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Elwell, Chi-Hsien Lin; +Cc: linux-firmware

Dear Phil, dear Chi-Hsien,

It seems that there is a new firmware [1] distributed for the CYW43455
since creation of the cypress directory in linux-firmware git:
[1]
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/commit/f713a6054746bc61ece1c8696dce91a7b7e22dd9#diff-1ddd585d9cadb82dd8e346a46cc6b76ad5ffa1d64b2c79c855062fd863d37f99

Where is this version to be downloadable at cypress/infineon and
is it distributable as the previous version?
If it is could it be submitted to upstream linux-firmware?

thank you.

* Re: RPi 4B wireless firmware update?
@ 2021-03-22 21:29 ` Phil Elwell
From: Phil Elwell @ 2021-03-22 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maximilian attems; +Cc: Chi-Hsien Lin, Linux Firmware

Maximilian,

The Cypress firmware in our repo has been tailored to our platforms. I believe
it is up to the creators to decide whether or not to upload firmware to the
canonical Linux firmware repo and, if so, which and how many variants.

Phil

@ 2021-03-23  8:17   ` maximilian attems
From: maximilian attems @ 2021-03-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Elwell; +Cc: Chi-Hsien Lin, Linux Firmware

Dear Phil, dear Chi-Hsien,

> The Cypress firmware in our repo has been tailored to our platforms. I believe
> it is up to the creators to decide whether or not to upload firmware to the
> canonical Linux firmware repo and, if so, which and how many variants.

The vendor may wish good support of his devices. In linux-firmware the
newest cypress firmwares are from 22/10/2020. In the Raspberry pi repo
the latest firmware for cyw43455 - 7.45.229 is from 04/01/2021, hence
it be great if the general build of that version could be pushed upstream
for all distributions.

Unrelated to that firmware, there are debian reports that newest
cyw43455 does not work in Japan with the newer cypress sdio.clm_blob
is that know to Cypress (worked on old brcm firmware) and where could
this be reported?

best,
maximilian