linux-fscrypt.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* fscrypt and FIPS
@ 2021-02-10 13:14 Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2021-02-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Biggers; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

Hi Eric,

I'm still working on the ceph+fscrypt patches (it's been slow going, but
I am making progress). Eventually RH would like to ship this as a
feature, but there is one potential snag that  -- a lot of our customers
need their boxes to be FIPS-enabled [1].

Most of the algorithms and implementations that fscrypt use are OK, but
HKDF is not approved outside of TLS 1.3. The quote from our lab folks
is:

"HKDF is not approved as a general-purpose KDF, but only for SP800-56C
rev2 compliant use. That means that HKDF is only to be used to derive a
key from a ECDH/DH or RSA-wrapped shared secret. This includes TLS 1.3."

Would you be amenable to allowing the KDF to be pluggable in some
fashion, like the filename and content encryption algorithms are? It
would be nice if we didn't have to disable this feature on FIPS-enabled
boxes.

[1]: https://www.nist.gov/itl/fips-general-information

Thanks!
--