* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [LSF/MM ATTEND] XFS reflink, rmap and CoW
@ 2016-12-16  6:57 Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2016-12-16  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc, linux-fsdevel; +Cc: Carlos Maiolino, Dave Chinner, Darrick J. Wong

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Carlos Maiolino <cmaiolino@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've spent past (5 year or so) contributing to XFS (mainly), and another FS
> development in kernel, and I would like to participate in LSF/MM 2017.
>
> As usual, most of my interest goes into XFS topics. I'm mostly interested in the
> topics in $SUBJ, and how we can make it stable as soon as possible.

I am also very interested in attending the discussion of "road to stable $SUBJ".
In a discussion on xfs mailing list, I exchanged some ideas with Dave
and Darrick
about enabling reflink feature on production systems post mkfs in due time:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-xfs/msg02773.html

I am interested to hear if other folks share a similar use case and discuss
which of the proposed solutions, if any, are a best fit to the community needs.

@ 2016-12-16  7:55 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-12-16  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amir Goldstein
  Cc: lsf-pc, linux-fsdevel, Carlos Maiolino, Dave Chinner, Darrick J. Wong

XFS reflinks and dedup is a feature that's done already, no real need
to have further discussion in the big room at LSF/MM.

That being said it would be great to have another XFS developers
gathering, and I could arrange one around LSM/MM.  A BOF a Vault would
be an idea for example.

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [LSF/MM ATTEND] XFS reflink, rmap and CoW
@ 2016-12-16 10:27   ` Carlos Maiolino
From: Carlos Maiolino @ 2016-12-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Amir Goldstein, lsf-pc, linux-fsdevel, Dave Chinner, Darrick J. Wong

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:55:05PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> XFS reflinks and dedup is a feature that's done already, no real need
> to have further discussion in the big room at LSF/MM.

Fair enough.

> That being said it would be great to have another XFS developers
> gathering, and I could arrange one around LSM/MM.  A BOF a Vault would
> be an idea for example.

I'd prefer to have it sometime around LSF. If I manage (i.e. receive an invite)
to go to LSF, I won't be attending Vault unfortunately. Maybe we can find some
time around LSF to do some sort of XFS metting?

cheers.

Carlos

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [LSF/MM ATTEND] XFS reflink, rmap and CoW
@ 2016-12-19 23:12   ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2016-12-19 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Amir Goldstein, lsf-pc, linux-fsdevel, Carlos Maiolino, Darrick J. Wong

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:55:05PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> XFS reflinks and dedup is a feature that's done already, no real need
> to have further discussion in the big room at LSF/MM.
>
> That being said it would be great to have another XFS developers
> gathering, and I could arrange one around LSM/MM.  A BOF a Vault would
> be an idea for example.

I won't be there.

I'll be thinking of y'all sitting inside a stuffy room in yet
another anonymous conference center. I'm going to be out in the
forest at the bottom of a long hill on an old highway marshalling
race cars onto the starting line....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [LSF/MM ATTEND] XFS reflink, rmap and CoW
@ 2016-12-19 23:28     ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2016-12-19 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Amir Goldstein, lsf-pc, linux-fsdevel,
	Carlos Maiolino

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:12:02AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:55:05PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > XFS reflinks and dedup is a feature that's done already, no real need
> > to have further discussion in the big room at LSF/MM.
> >
> > That being said it would be great to have another XFS developers
> > gathering, and I could arrange one around LSM/MM.  A BOF a Vault would
> > be an idea for example.
>
> I won't be there.
>
> I'll be thinking of y'all sitting inside a stuffy room in yet
> another anonymous conference center. I'm going to be out in the
> forest at the bottom of a long hill on an old highway marshalling
> race cars onto the starting line....

/me looks forward to LSF 2018: "Dave's Back Yard"

--D

@ 2016-12-15 12:30 Carlos Maiolino