* ext4 lazytime: ctime of some files changed
@ 2015-05-13  9:35 Jörg-Volker Peetz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jörg-Volker Peetz @ 2015-05-13  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel; +Cc: Theodore Ts'o

Dear Ted,

on my laptop with ext4 fs (on SSD) I started to try the lazytime mount option
using a self compiled kernel 4.0.2 on a debian system with mount version 2.26.2.
Before that, I've used the noatime mount option.

After restarting the system with an adapted /etc/fstab file and the kernel
parameter "rootflags=lazytime", the relatime mount option was also set. I
changed that by commanding "mount -o remount,strictatime /", etc.
By accident, I noticed that some files had a modified ctime and mtime although
they were not changed or modified.

Has anybody else experienced that? Do I miss a patch?

Mount options in fstab: nobarrier,lazytime,errors=remount-ro
The filesystems are ext4 on a primary partition of the SSD with default mount
option journal_data_writeback. I created them in Feb 2011.

By the way, the command "mount -o remount,lazytime /" does not do the switch to
lazytime.

And thanks for your tireless work on Linux.
jvp.