* Re: [fuse-devel] fusermount reports "Device or resource busy" but unmounts it anyway
       [not found] <20150512093413.GA19964@redhat.com>
@ 2015-05-13  8:27 ` Miklos Szeredi
From: Miklos Szeredi @ 2015-05-13  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard W.M. Jones; +Cc: fuse-devel, Eric W. Biederman, Linux-Fsdevel

[CCs added]

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:

> Has something changed in FUSE / the kernel in the past few months so
> that 'fusermount -u /mp' reports the error:
>
>   fusermount: failed to unmount /mp: Device or resource busy

That's from the umount2() syscall, and most likely not a fuse issue.

> and returns a non-zero exit code, but the mountpoint is unmounted
> anyway?

Is this in 4.1-rc?  If so, then the recent fs/namespace.c patches from
Eric Biederman would be suspect.

Thanks,
Miklos

@ 2015-05-13  8:29   ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2015-05-13  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi; +Cc: fuse-devel, Eric W. Biederman, Linux-Fsdevel

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:27:09AM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> [CCs added]
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Has something changed in FUSE / the kernel in the past few months so
> > that 'fusermount -u /mp' reports the error:
> >
> >   fusermount: failed to unmount /mp: Device or resource busy
> >

> That's from the umount2() syscall, and most likely not a fuse issue.
>
> > and returns a non-zero exit code, but the mountpoint is unmounted
> > anyway?
>
> Is this in 4.1-rc?  If so, then the recent fs/namespace.c patches from
> Eric Biederman would be suspect.

Yes, this is reproducible with:

kernel-4.1.0-0.rc2.git3.1.fc23.x86_64 (from Fedora Rawide)
fuse-2.9.3-4.fc22.x86_64

I will see if I can make a small reproducer and get back.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v

* Re: [fuse-devel] fusermount reports "Device or resource busy" but unmounts it anyway
@ 2015-05-13 14:50     ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2015-05-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard W.M. Jones; +Cc: Miklos Szeredi, fuse-devel, Linux-Fsdevel

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:27:09AM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>> [CCs added]
>>
>> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Has something changed in FUSE / the kernel in the past few months so
>> > that 'fusermount -u /mp' reports the error:
>> >
>> >   fusermount: failed to unmount /mp: Device or resource busy
>> >

>> That's from the umount2() syscall, and most likely not a fuse issue.
>>
>> > and returns a non-zero exit code, but the mountpoint is unmounted
>> > anyway?
>>
>> Is this in 4.1-rc?  If so, then the recent fs/namespace.c patches from
>> Eric Biederman would be suspect.
>
> Yes, this is reproducible with:
>
> kernel-4.1.0-0.rc2.git3.1.fc23.x86_64 (from Fedora Rawide)
> fuse-2.9.3-4.fc22.x86_64
>
> I will see if I can make a small reproducer and get back.

I will be happy to look at this if there is a reasonably small reproducer.
I don't think I changed anything that could cause that kind of failure,
but I have touched a fair amount of that code recently and at the very
least I will be familiar with it.

The only case I can imagine is the mount point being deleted.

Eric