* [fuse] Getting visibility into reads from page cache
@ 2020-04-25 17:06 Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2020-04-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel, fuse-devel

Hello,

For debugging purposes, I would like to get information about read
requests for FUSE filesystems that are answered from the page cache
(i.e., that never make it to the FUSE userspace daemon).

What would be the easiest way to accomplish that?

For now I'd be happy with seeing regular reads and knowing when an
application uses mmap (so that I know that I might be missing reads).

Not having done any real kernel-level work, I would start by looking
into using some tracing framework to hook into the relevant kernel
function. However, I thought I'd ask here first to make sure that I'm
not heading into the completely wrong direction.

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F