* ext4 fsck vs. kernel recovery policy
@ 2019-08-27 19:10 dann frazier
From: dann frazier @ 2019-08-27 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel, Theodore Ts'o, Jan Kara; +Cc: Colin King, Ryan Harper

hey,
  I'm curious if there's a policy about what types of unclean
shutdowns 'e2fsck -p' can recover, vs. what the kernel will
automatically recover on mount. We're seeing that unclean shutdowns w/
data=journal,journal_csum frequently result in invalid checksums that
causes the kernel to abort recovery, while 'e2fsck -p' resolves the
issue non-interactively.

Driver for this question is that some Ubuntu installs set fstab's
passno=0 for the root fs - which I'm told is based on the assumption
that both kernel & e2fsck -p have parity when it comes to automatic
recovery - that's obviously does not appear to be the case - but I
wanted to confirm whether or not that is by design.

  -dann