From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
To: Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>
Cc: linux-xfs <linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTION] Long read latencies on mixed rw buffered IO
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 06:36:44 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:43 AM Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:49:33AM +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:

> > > That did not change the locking behaviour of XFS at all.
> >
> > I know. Said so above.
>
> Followed by a (?), which seems to indicate you were unsure and
> seeking clarification.

Ah yes, (?) was referring to "always been", which you already affirmed.

> [...]
> > years seems to be correct.
> > The original report we got from customer was with kernel 4.9.134
> > In the original report, long latencies were on writes rather than on reads.
> > The following output of filebench randomrw workload summarizes the results:
>
> To summarise: "behaviour used to be constant stream of readers block
> writers".
>
> Yay us!
>
> > rand-write1          1128ops       19ops/s   0.1mb/s    340.3ms/op
> > [0.03ms - 7933.27ms]
> > rand-read1           2954684ops    49238ops/s 384.7mb/s      0.2ms/op
> > [0.02ms - 5873.27ms]
> > 61.026: IO Summary: 2955812 ops 49257.253 ops/s 49238/19 rd/wr
> > 384.8mb/s   0.3ms/op
> >
> > With more recent kernel (4.20), the latencies have shifted to the read ops:
> >
> > rand-write1          467706ops     7794ops/s  60.9mb/s    0.733ms/op
> > [0.004ms - 3899.167ms]
> > rand-read1           1970ops       33ops/s   0.3mb/s  164.277ms/op
> > [0.017ms - 3905.929ms]
> > 61.032: IO Summary: 469676 ops 7826.760 ops/s 33/7794 rd/wr  61.1mb/s 1.419ms/op
> >
> > In a workload of 100% reads or 100% writes, there are no extreme
> > latencies or neither
> > old nor new kernel.
>
> Yup, because there's no reader/writer contention on the lock. The
> change of behaviour here is due to the rwsem implementation lacking
> proper barrier semantics, and so the imlpementation changes
> behaviour according to what microbenchmark goes faster this week.
>
> We never had these problems with Irix rwsems, because:
>
> commit a7724543560e9b6434710abcd5528234f108e204
> Author: Doug Doucette <doucette@engr.sgi.com>
> Date:   Sat Jun 14 01:44:30 1997 +0000
>
>     Make the iolock be a BARRIER mrlock instead of the default.
>     This makes it force new readers to wait if there's a writer
>     waiting, insuring some fairness.
>
> Almost all XFS rwsems were configured as MRLOCK_BARRIER rwsems,
> which had mostly fair queuing behaviour.
>
>         - if held by read, other readers can grab until pending
>           writer.
>         - if held by read and pending writer, reads queue behind
>           writer.
>         - if held by read, no pending reads and pending writer, writers get batched
>           with pending writer
>         - if held by writer and no pending reader, new writer is
>           queued to run after writer and before any new pending
>           readers.
>         - if held by writer and pending reader, new writers get queued
>           behind reads
>         - if held by writer and pending reader, readers get batched
>           with pending reader
>
> basically, these barrier semantics prevented new readers from
> starving waiting writers, and prevented new writers from starving
> pending readers.
>
> /me wonders if he should just implement this as a new type of lock
> so that we don't end up having read/write balance change whenever
> somebody modifies rwsem behaviour to make some microbenchmark go

That sounds interesting. I will be happy to test patches.
Improving the microbenchmark is not my goal though.
Customer reported write latencies with kernel 4.9.
I was able to reproduce the write  latencies using microbenchmark
with kernel 4.9, but the same microbenchmark demonstrated different
behavior on kernel 4.20 (read latencies).
So it looks like I am really after the case of readers blocking
writers, regardless of starvation, which has also been
demonstrated with fio in the workload flavor that you suggested
(mix r/w on same thread).

> > > I'd be interested in seeing if a fio workload using 16 randrw
> > > threads demonstrate the same latency profile (i.e. threads aren't
> > > exclusively read- or write- only), or is profile coming about
> > > specifically because you have dedicated write-only threads that will
> > > continually bash on the IO locks and hence starve readers?
> >
> > I guess it depends on the rw mix. With 50% r/w mix run on kernel
> > 4.20.7-1.el7, long latencies are mostly on the write ops.
>
> Worst case latencies are roughly equal at ~500ms, distribution is
> almost identical - ~50% of writes are not blocking at all, the rest
> are waiting behind reads and so showing >=50th percentile latencies
> largely similar to the read side.
>
> fio displays this behaviour because it bounds the run length of the
> pending write or read IO stream as each thread selects read or write
> randomly. Hence each thread will soon issue an IO that will get
> blocked and so the exclusion stream is essentially bound in depth by
> the random number generator.

> > > That's one part of it. The other is POSIX atomic write semantics.
> > >
> > > https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/read.html
> > >
> > > "I/O is intended to be atomic to ordinary files and pipes and FIFOs.
> > > Atomic means that all the bytes from a single operation that started
> > > out together end up together, without interleaving from other I/O
> > > operations."
> >
> > I see... Are you aware of any applications that depend on this POSIX
> > atomic write behavior? It would seem very unlikely that such applications
> > exist, if only xfs provides this guaranty on Linux...
>
> Databases like this behaviour very much....

I was under the impression that databases use DIO, where xfs explicitly
leaves concurrent IO synchronization to user space. Is that not the case?

> > IMO, it would be best if applications that desire atomic writes semantics
> > would opt for it using a preadv2 flag. Or, for backward compat, we can allow
> > applications to opt out of atomic write semantics. [CC fsdevel]
>
> You seem to have already decided that it is going to be optional
> behaviour in XFS. perhaps you should wait for people to decide
> whether we want to do that or not....
>
> > All right. I am reading the above as no prior objection to adding
> > an XFS mount option and/or preadv2() flag to opt out of this
> > behavior and align with the reckless behavior of the other local
> > filesystems on Linux.
> > Please correct me if I am wrong and I would like to hear what
> > other people thing w.r.t mount option vs. preadv2() flag.
> > It could also be an open flag, but I prefer not to go down that road...
>
> "No prior objection" doesn't mean "yes, we are going to do this".

Of course. The burden of proof is still on me, to show a real life
workload and to explain why problem cannot be solved using APIs
that xfs already provide. I am working via several layers of mediators
to get to the real life workload, so the investigation may take some
time. At this point, I gathered enough inputs to be able to ask this
[Question]. If this discussion ends up also improving fairness on
rw_semaphore, all the better.

> Indeed, if you are doing high performance, concurrent mixed
> read/write IO to the same file, then we've already got a solution
> for this problem. i.e. using AIO+DIO on XFS will allow
> both reads and writes to be issued concurrently and not block the
> main thread of execution. That solves all the problems in one go...

Yes, I know. I have looked into using AIO+DIO in samba.
The problem is that samba is a general purpose remote IO dispatcher,
so unlike a regular application, it cannot know a-priori that IO to this
file are going to be aligned (even through in this benchmark they are).

I was under the impression that mixing concurrent buffered IO and DIO
on the same file is not recommended, but from this thread I understand
that it may be an option for xfs (?). In any case, I rather not resort to
special casing xfs in samba, although it may come to this...

I considered doing "opportunistic DIO", that is, starting with O_DIRECT
(always or given certain SMB open hints) and switching to buffered IO
on the first non aligned IO (after all previous DIO have completed).
That may work and should be fine with non-xfs as well.

Thanks,
Amir.