* fanotify and network/cluster fs
@ 2021-05-10 23:36 Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2021-05-10 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amir Goldstein; +Cc: CIFS, linux-fsdevel

With the recent changes to fanotify (e.g.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7cea2a3c505e)
has there been any additional discussion of what it would take to
allow fanotify to be supported for network/cluster fs (all major
dialects supported by cifs.ko support sending notify requests to the
server - but there is no way for cifs.ko to be told which notify
requests to send as fanotify/inotify are local only in current Linux -
unlike other OS where notify is primarily for network fs and passed
down to the fs)

Steve

* Re: fanotify and network/cluster fs
@ 2021-05-11  4:33 ` Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2021-05-11  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: CIFS, linux-fsdevel

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 2:36 AM Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the recent changes to fanotify (e.g.
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7cea2a3c505e)

Not sure how this is related to remote fs notifications.

> has there been any additional discussion of what it would take to
> allow fanotify to be supported for network/cluster fs (all major

It would take someone to pick up this RFC that was already posted
2 years ago:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20190507085707.GD30899@veci.piliscsaba.redhat.com/
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/CAOQ4uxipauh1UXHSFt=WsiaDexqecjm4eDkVfnQXN8eYofdg2A@mail.gmail.com/

> dialects supported by cifs.ko support sending notify requests to the
> server - but there is no way for cifs.ko to be told which notify
> requests to send as fanotify/inotify are local only in current Linux -
> unlike other OS where notify is primarily for network fs and passed
> down to the fs)

If you wait long enough, I'll get to implementing this for FUSE some day...
But there is *really* nothing blocking cifs developers from implementing this
and writing the specialized tests. I can help with guidance.

Thanks,
Amir.

* Re: fanotify and network/cluster fs
@ 2021-05-12  5:05   ` Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2021-05-12  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amir Goldstein; +Cc: CIFS, linux-fsdevel

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:34 PM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 2:36 AM Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > With the recent changes to fanotify (e.g.
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7cea2a3c505e)
>
> Not sure how this is related to remote fs notifications.
>
> > has there been any additional discussion of what it would take to
> > allow fanotify to be supported for network/cluster fs (all major
>
> It would take someone to pick up this RFC that was already posted
> 2 years ago:
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20190507085707.GD30899@veci.piliscsaba.redhat.com/
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/CAOQ4uxipauh1UXHSFt=WsiaDexqecjm4eDkVfnQXN8eYofdg2A@mail.gmail.com/
>
> > dialects supported by cifs.ko support sending notify requests to the
> > server - but there is no way for cifs.ko to be told which notify
> > requests to send as fanotify/inotify are local only in current Linux -
> > unlike other OS where notify is primarily for network fs and passed
> > down to the fs)
> >

> If you wait long enough, I'll get to implementing this for FUSE some day...
> But there is *really* nothing blocking cifs developers from implementing this
> and writing the specialized tests. I can help with guidance.

It's on my TODO list but I am dealing with some multichannel bugs at
the moment...
but would be great if someone had run into the same thing and fixed it.  If not
I will revisit the question of how to do this

Steve