* [RFC][QUESTION] fuse: how to enlarge the max pages per request
@ 2020-03-10 10:03 piaojun
From: piaojun @ 2020-03-10 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miklos; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

Hi Miklos,

From my test, a fuse write req can only contain 128KB which seems
limited by FUSE_DEFAULT_MAX_PAGES_PER_REQ in kernel. I wonder if I
could enlarge this macro to get more bandwidth, or some other adaption
should be done?

Up to now, many userspace filesystem is designed for big data which
needs big bandwidth, such as 2MB or more. So could we add a feature to
let the user config the max pages per request? Looking forward for your
reply.

Thanks,
Jun

* Re: [RFC][QUESTION] fuse: how to enlarge the max pages per request
@ 2020-03-10 12:34 ` piaojun
From: piaojun @ 2020-03-10 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miklos; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

ping?

@ 2020-03-16  9:24 ` Miklos Szeredi
From: Miklos Szeredi @ 2020-03-16  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piaojun; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:03 AM piaojun <piaojun@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi Miklos,
>
> From my test, a fuse write req can only contain 128KB which seems
> limited by FUSE_DEFAULT_MAX_PAGES_PER_REQ in kernel. I wonder if I
> could enlarge this macro to get more bandwidth, or some other adaption
> should be done?
>
> Up to now, many userspace filesystem is designed for big data which
> needs big bandwidth, such as 2MB or more. So could we add a feature to
> let the user config the max pages per request? Looking forward for your

Currently maximum 1MB per write request is possible by setting
FUSE_MAX_PAGES flag and max_pages=256 in  INIT reply.

Thanks,
Miklos

* Re: [RFC][QUESTION] fuse: how to enlarge the max pages per request
@ 2020-03-16  9:35   ` piaojun
From: piaojun @ 2020-03-16  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

On 2020/3/16 17:24, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:03 AM piaojun <piaojun@huawei.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Miklos,
>>
>> From my test, a fuse write req can only contain 128KB which seems
>> limited by FUSE_DEFAULT_MAX_PAGES_PER_REQ in kernel. I wonder if I
>> could enlarge this macro to get more bandwidth, or some other adaption
>> should be done?
>>
>> Up to now, many userspace filesystem is designed for big data which
>> needs big bandwidth, such as 2MB or more. So could we add a feature to
>> let the user config the max pages per request? Looking forward for your
>
> Currently maximum 1MB per write request is possible by setting
> FUSE_MAX_PAGES flag and max_pages=256 in  INIT reply.

Thanks for your reply. I got the point.

Jun