linux-hardening.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: s390/defconfigs: set CONFIG_INIT_STACK_NONE=y
@ 2023-05-25 18:40 Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2023-05-25 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiko Carstens, Alexander Gordeev; +Cc: linux-hardening

Hi Heiko,

I had this[1] patch pointed out to me, but I couldn't find any discussion
about it on public lists. Can you give me some background on this? There
haven't been any general workloads identified where this has been
a problem, so I'm curious why this was seen as globally an issue on
s390. The expectation was to use __uninitialized on any variables where
this was noticed as a performance issue, and where the memory safety of
the variable could be proven. Turning it off by default seems like
rather too much, but perhaps there is something unique to s390 I don't
know about. :)

Thanks,

-Kees

[1] https://git.kernel.org/linus/124acbe275040809abfa5fbe6e25790a53d5a161