linux-hwmon.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [QUESTION] fan rpm hwmon driver
@ 2020-07-04 19:50 Barnabás Pőcze
From: Barnabás Pőcze @ 2020-07-04 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hwmon

Hello all,

I am completely new to Linux kernel development. I have written a kernel module for my laptop that integrates the fan speeds available in the embedded controller memory into the hwmon subsystem.

My first question would be: can such a driver be merged into the mainline? I ask this because it is a device specific driver, and I am not sure if such drivers are wanted in the mainline.

Depending on the answer to my first question, my second question is: where should such a driver reside in the source tree? Initially, I thought of drivers/hwmon, but that seems to be occupied by drivers for external(?) devices (I am not sure, but that is the idea I get). So I am now thinking of drivers/platform/x86. However, I have failed to find any fan hwmon drivers there, so I am not sure about that one, either.

I send my mail to the hwmon mailing list, because after all, it is about a hwmon module, but if it is not the correct place, please point me in the right direction.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me. Thank you for your time.

Barnabás Pőcze