linux-ide.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* tx4938 and tx4939 ide drivers
@ 2021-03-03  7:41 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2021-03-03  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atsushi Nemoto, linux-ide, linux-mips

Hi all,

the tx4938 and tx4939 legacy ide drivers are some of the few that do
not have libata equivalents, which is a bad thing given that CONFIG_IDE
is planned to go away this year.  Are there any users of this hardware
left, and if yes willing to help with the move to libata?

Note that these drivers are pretty strange in that they were only added
in 2008, which was long after the ide driver subsystems has been
deprecated.

* Re: tx4938 and tx4939 ide drivers
@ 2021-03-03  8:31 ` Atsushi Nemoto
From: Atsushi Nemoto @ 2021-03-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hch; +Cc: linux-ide, linux-mips, geert

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 08:41:07 +0100, Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:
> the tx4938 and tx4939 legacy ide drivers are some of the few that do
> not have libata equivalents, which is a bad thing given that CONFIG_IDE
> is planned to go away this year.  Are there any users of this hardware
> left, and if yes willing to help with the move to libata?

I think nobody use these drivers now.

As I wrote in
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210107.101729.1936921832901251107.anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp/
removal of these drivers does not break the only known user of TX49
boards. (i.e. Mr. Geert Uytterhoeven)

---
Atsushi Nemoto

* Re: tx4938 and tx4939 ide drivers
@ 2021-03-03 10:29   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2021-03-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atsushi Nemoto, Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: linux-ide, open list:BROADCOM NVRAM DRIVER

Hi Nemoto-san, Christoph,

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 08:41:07 +0100, Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:
> > the tx4938 and tx4939 legacy ide drivers are some of the few that do
> > not have libata equivalents, which is a bad thing given that CONFIG_IDE
> > is planned to go away this year.  Are there any users of this hardware
> > left, and if yes willing to help with the move to libata?
>
> I think nobody use these drivers now.
>
> As I wrote in
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210107.101729.1936921832901251107.anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp/
> removal of these drivers does not break the only known user of TX49
> boards. (i.e. Mr. Geert Uytterhoeven)

Right. Feel free to remove tx4938ide support.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds