linux-iio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Ardelean, Alexandru" <alexandru.Ardelean@analog.com>
To: "jic23@kernel.org" <jic23@kernel.org>,
	"linux-iio@vger.kernel.org" <linux-iio@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Interest in a virtual IIO microconf?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:51:54 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, 2020-06-28 at 13:36 +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> Hi All

Hey,

I'd be interested in a virtual microconf.
Some more notes inline.

> [...]
> it
> because :
>
> 1. Active IIO developers are geographically spread out, so chances are we
>    would only get a small subset of people.  Whilst that's fine for
> having
>    a few beers/coffee and a chat, it is not so good on an inclusive /
> useful basis
>    for making any progress.  Whilst the Linux foundation and others do
> their
>    best to encourage a wide range of people to attend these events, the
> reality
>    is that going to a conference is expensive in money and/or time.
>
> 2. Whilst I have personally been going to more conferences in recent
> times than
>    I did a few years back, they aren't always 'the right ones' for this
> sort
>    of meeting.
>
> 3. It wasn't obvious that we would actually have a enough to talk about.
>    This is more of an issue if it involved people jumping on planes with
> all
>    the issues that brings.
>
> 4. I've mulled trying something virtual in the past but was unconvinced
> we could
>    do it in fashion that would make it more productive than email
> exchanges.
>
> Anyhow, a huge amount has changed this year.  I'm sure everyone is
> getting more
> used to doing things online and it's clear that useful meetings of this
> type
> can occur without getting everyone sat around a table.
>
> Clearly lots of open questions around this:
>
> * What would we talk about?
>
> * Are enough people interested?
>
> * When?  Can we actually find a timezone or date that works for enough
> people?
>   Particularly true given mixture of people who do IIO for their day jobs
> and
>   those who do it out of work time!
>
>   Note that, for a first such event I'd suggest we are looking at around
> 3 hours.
>
> * Platform: We could try and associate with an existing event, but as it
> will be small
>   we probably don't need the heavy weight logistics of something like
> Plumbers
>   (side note - their online conferencing setup is very impressive).
>
>   My personal preference is Zoom as it seems more reliable than
> alternatives
>   (even though it's closed source etc... :( Video optional!
>
> I have a few thoughts on topics (in no particular order)
>
> 1. Generic process stuff.  Should we change how the IIO subsystem is
> maintained?
>    I know I have a few things I'd like to briefly discuss.  Note this is
> standard
>    feature in pretty much every open source project microconf!
>
> 2. Major out of tree patches.
>    - What is out there?  Perhaps there is room to collaborate around some

Naturally, I have some interest in this topic.

> 3. Topics on the horizon?  Where should we go?
>    - One topic in here is potentially around virtualization on embedded
>      platforms and how IIO might fit within that.

This [for me] is partially related to 2.

But somewhat unrelated [to 2.], we've been discussing internally some ideas
about "rapid-prototyping".
I know there was something that Intel did a while back on this.
We've had some other thoughts, but did not have time to finalize them.

> 4. Mentorship / support of new developers.
>    - Would love to get some inputs on this from both people who do a lot
> of
>      this and from those who have recently been on the 'newbie' side of
> things!
>
> 5. Usecases.  I'd personally love to hear a bit about what people are
> actually
>    doing with all these devices!  I'd also be interested in pain points
> etc.
>
> 6. Userspace stacks.  More discussion around pain points etc than an
> overview of
>    what there is.
>
> 7. Testing / emulation?  What do people have in place, and what can we
> od to
>    improve it?

There's also an internal idea we had, where we can extend the IIO dummy
driver [or create a new one], to load data and read-back [as a replay for
userspace].
We never got to do it, but would be curios of other did.