linux-iio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Puranjay Mohan <puranjay12@gmail.com>
To: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
Cc: Jonathan Cameron <jic23@kernel.org>,
	Alexandru Ardelean <ardeleanalex@gmail.com>,
	linux-iio <linux-iio@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-hwmon@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: IIO Driver for TMP117 Temperature sensor
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 01:40:32 +0530	[thread overview]

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 9:38 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

> On 12/13/20 7:12 AM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 11:48:40 -0800
> > Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

> >> It would probably be better suited for hwmon (it has limit registers,
> >> suggesting a common use as hardware monitoring device).
> > It is a curious part.  I suspect TI based their design for a medical grade
> > digital thermometer chip on an existing hwmon part.
> >
> > The limit registers are very simple so could be supported by IIO.
> > This sits somewhere in the middle of high end thermocouple chips which
> > tend to be in IIO and typically lower accuracy / range hwmon parts.
> >
> > It's in the fuzzy borderline region so I doubt anyone would raise strong
> > objections to which subsystem it was in.  Guenter has fallen on the
> > hwmon side of things and I'm fine with that.
> >

> On the other side, it turns out that there is already tmp107 support
> in iio, and tmp107 is pretty much the spi equivalent of the same chip.

Yes, you are right, tmp107 is very similar to tmp117, but it is less accurate
and it doesn't include the OFFSET functionality. Actually, I had seen the
tmp107 register in IIO and thought that tmp117 should go in IIO,
hence, I wrote this email.

So, is it fine if I write the IIO driver for this sensor? Actually,
this will just
be a hobby project for me so It doesn't bother me if it goes in hwmon or IIO.

--
Thanks and Regards

Yours Truly,

Puranjay Mohan