linux-input.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Duplicated driver for LIS302-like device.
@ 2009-12-11  2:52 Matt Hsu
From: Matt Hsu @ 2009-12-11  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-input; +Cc: dmitry.torokhov

Hi all,

Recently I was managed to make LIS302DL device work on Beagleboard.
It's almost done.

The last thing I would like to do is to commit the driver to upstream.
Here comes a problem. I found there's a similar driver named lis3lv02d.c.
which is located drivers/hwmon/. They are pretty much the same.
Only registers mapping is different slightly.

Originally, I plan to use this driver directly instead of implementing
another lis302dl-like driver.
Unfortunately, this driver is dependent on ACPI subsystem.
The target platform for this device is based on ARM.
Therefore, I could not re-use this driver for my work
and re-implement it based on I2C interface.

My question is, is this a duplicated driver for upstream
if I send patches for this driver without any ACPI dependency?

Cheers,
Matt

* Re: Duplicated driver for LIS302-like device.
@ 2009-12-11 12:57 ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2009-12-11 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Hsu
  Cc: linux-input, dmitry.torokhov, Samu Onkalo, Eric Piel, Trisal,
	Kalhan, LM Sensors

Hi Matt

> Recently I was managed to make LIS302DL device work on Beagleboard.
> It's almost done.
>
> The last thing I would like to do is to commit the driver to upstream.
> Here comes a problem. I found there's a similar driver named lis3lv02d.c.
> which is located drivers/hwmon/. They are pretty much the same.
> Only registers mapping is different slightly.
Firstly that would make emailing lm-sensors more sensible than linux-input
but what the heck,  some of us read both. Also for queries like this copy
in the maintainer of the driver you are asking about.

> Originally, I plan to use this driver directly instead of implementing
> another lis302dl-like driver.
> Unfortunately, this driver is dependent on ACPI subsystem.
> The target platform for this device is based on ARM.
> Therefore, I could not re-use this driver for my work
> and re-implement it based on I2C interface.
Gah, Not again!  So far we have had two patch sets implementing just
this.  Looking at the latest from Samu, Eric's patch has been sent on
to Andrew Morton for the current merge window (and is listed as being in
his mm tree).  May even have merged since I last pulled mainline.

You have my sympathies as the whole duplicating work thing happens to
us all from time to time.  The answer is as ever, post early and post
often to the relevant mailing lists. (though of course hardly anyone
actually keeps to this!)

I've cc'd in everyone I know has an interest in this driver for any
thing else they might want to add.

Jonathan

* Re: Duplicated driver for LIS302-like device.
@ 2009-12-11 13:16   ` Éric Piel
From: Éric Piel @ 2009-12-11 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Hsu
  Cc: Jonathan Cameron, linux-input, dmitry.torokhov, Samu Onkalo,
	Trisal, Kalhan, LM Sensors

(Thank you Jonathan for the CC!)
On 11-12-09 13:57, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> Hi Matt
>>
>> Recently I was managed to make LIS302DL device work on Beagleboard.
>> It's almost done.
>>
>> The last thing I would like to do is to commit the driver to upstream.
>> Here comes a problem. I found there's a similar driver named lis3lv02d.c.
>> which is located drivers/hwmon/. They are pretty much the same.
>> Only registers mapping is different slightly.
> Firstly that would make emailing lm-sensors more sensible than linux-input
> but what the heck,  some of us read both. Also for queries like this copy
> in the maintainer of the driver you are asking about.
>>
>> Originally, I plan to use this driver directly instead of implementing
>> another lis302dl-like driver.
>> Unfortunately, this driver is dependent on ACPI subsystem.
>> The target platform for this device is based on ARM.
>> Therefore, I could not re-use this driver for my work
>> and re-implement it based on I2C interface.
> Gah, Not again!  So far we have had two patch sets implementing just
> this.  Looking at the latest from Samu, Eric's patch has been sent on
> to Andrew Morton for the current merge window (and is listed as being in
> his mm tree).  May even have merged since I last pulled mainline.
>
> You have my sympathies as the whole duplicating work thing happens to
> us all from time to time.  The answer is as ever, post early and post
> often to the relevant mailing lists. (though of course hardly anyone
> actually keeps to this!)

Hi Matt,

As Jonathan said, it seems most of what you look for (support of
lis302dl via I²C) is now present as a patch series in mmotm. Please have
a look at http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/ , where you
should find ~11 patches for lis3*. You need to check
http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/series for knowing the correct
order to apply them. I expect them to be sent to Linus for 2.6.33 within
a few days.

Hopefully, what you need is already there. Well, of course it depends
also on what interface you need in userspace for the hardware. There is
currently only position reporting (via joystick interface and sysfs
file), freefall detection (via a misc device) and selftest (via sysfs
file). Let me know if you have additional features in your
implementation, or some bug fixes, and we could incorporate them in the
lis3lv02d driver.

See you,
Eric

* Re: Duplicated driver for LIS302-like device.
@ 2009-12-14  3:29   ` Matt Hsu
From: Matt Hsu @ 2009-12-14  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Cameron
  Cc: linux-input, dmitry.torokhov, Samu Onkalo, Eric Piel, Trisal,
	Kalhan, LM Sensors

Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> Hi Matt
>
> Gah, Not again!  So far we have had two patch sets implementing just
> this.  Looking at the latest from Samu, Eric's patch has been sent on
> to Andrew Morton for the current merge window (and is listed as being in
> his mm tree).  May even have merged since I last pulled mainline.
>
> You have my sympathies as the whole duplicating work thing happens to
> us all from time to time.  The answer is as ever, post early and post
> often to the relevant mailing lists. (though of course hardly anyone
> actually keeps to this!)

    Hi Jonathan,

    Thanks for your information.
    Previously, I only went through input subsystem instead of lm-sensors.
    And now the upstream driver seems to be implemented and merged. I
will cherry pick them into 0xlab kernel repository.

    Cheers,
    Matt

@ 2009-12-14  3:57     ` Matt Hsu
From: Matt Hsu @ 2009-12-14  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Éric Piel; +Cc: Samu Onkalo, dmitry.torokhov, LM Sensors, linux-input

> Hopefully, what you need is already there. Well, of course it depends
> also on what interface you need in userspace for the hardware.
    Hi Eric,

    I poked series patches you mentioned above.
    These patches add the support of both interface.
    That's great work. Originally, it was my next TODO, integration both
interfaces.

    Btw, here is the demo for this device. Just FYI.

http://matthsu-abacus.blogspot.com/2009/12/motion-sensor-demo-on-beagleboard.html

    I will cherry pick the upstream patches when they are merged into
2.6.33.

    Cheers,
    Matt