linux-input.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Kconfig issue in commit c49c33637802 ("HID: support for initialization of some Thrustmaster wheels")
@ 2021-08-10  5:04 Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-08-10  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Pagani, Kim Kuparinen, Jiri Kosina; +Cc: linux-input, Benjamin Tissoires

Dear Dario, dear Kim, dear Jiri,

In commit c49c33637802 ("HID: support for initialization of some
Thrustmaster wheels"), you have added in ./drivers/hid/Makefile:

obj-$(CONFIG_HID_TMINIT)       += hid-tminit.o

and drivers/hid/hid-quirks.c:

+#if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_HID_TMINIT)
+       { HID_USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_THRUSTMASTER, 0xb65d) },
+#endif

However, there is no config HID_TMINIT defined in Kconfig, nor a file
hid-tminit.c.

So, this above is all dead code.

Is this just some unintended leftover from refactoring, or are we
missing a config and the hid-tminit file?

I am happy to provide a patch, once it is what was intended here.

E.g., just drop the line in the Makefile and add the HID_USB_DEVICE
declaration to the CONFIG_HID_THRUSTMASTER ifdef block---if that
works?

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: Kconfig issue in commit c49c33637802 ("HID: support for initialization of some Thrustmaster wheels")
@ 2021-08-10 10:25 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-08-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Pagani, Kim Kuparinen, Jiri Kosina; +Cc: linux-input, Benjamin Tissoires

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 7:04 AM Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Dario, dear Kim, dear Jiri,
>
> In commit c49c33637802 ("HID: support for initialization of some
> Thrustmaster wheels"), you have added in ./drivers/hid/Makefile:
>
> obj-$(CONFIG_HID_TMINIT)       += hid-tminit.o
>
> and drivers/hid/hid-quirks.c:
>
> +#if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_HID_TMINIT)
> +       { HID_USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDOR_ID_THRUSTMASTER, 0xb65d) },
> +#endif
>
> However, there is no config HID_TMINIT defined in Kconfig, nor a file
> hid-tminit.c.
>
> So, this above is all dead code.
>
> Is this just some unintended leftover from refactoring, or are we
> missing a config and the hid-tminit file?
>
> I am happy to provide a patch, once it is what was intended here.
>
> E.g., just drop the line in the Makefile and add the HID_USB_DEVICE
> declaration to the CONFIG_HID_THRUSTMASTER ifdef block---if that
> works?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 7:34 AM Kim Kuparinen
<kimi.h.kuparinen@gmail.com> wrote:

> hid-tminit.c was renamed to hid-thrustmaster.c, so seems like a refactoring artefact. The changes you suggested sound like what was intended, though I haven't personally tested them yet.

Kim, Dario, I have created the patch and sent it out on the
linux-input mailing list; see here:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-input/20210810102148.9764-1-lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com/

You might just apply and test it.

Lukas