linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: Documentation on IMA for Linux Kernel Documentation
       [not found] <7c91820d-0153-e4db-1c60-38b6f650ed20@linux.ibm.com>
@ 2023-03-13 22:25 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2023-03-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman, linux-kernel, linux-integrity

[add IMA list]

On 3/13/23 14:43, Ken Goldman wrote:
> I'm writing documentation on IMA targeting users (not kernel developers).  It includes concepts, details on writing policies, the IMA event log format, utilities, and more.  It aggregates existing scattered documentation, but adds much more.  It's maybe 1/2 done.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Are there people who could look at it and see if I'm on the right path?
>
> It's a lot of work.  I'd like to know that it has some chance of acceptance.
>
> 2. What is the process for getting a block of documentation added to https://www.kernel.org/doc/html?

It should be added to the kernel tree in the Documentation/userspace-api/ subdirectory
or Documentation/security/ subdirectory.  The kernel.org/doc/ web pages are generated
from what is in the Linux kernel tree.

Thanks.
--
~Randy

* Re: Documentation on IMA for Linux Kernel Documentation
@ 2023-03-13 22:34   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2023-03-13 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman, linux-kernel, linux-integrity

On 3/13/23 15:25, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> [add IMA list]
>
> On 3/13/23 14:43, Ken Goldman wrote:
>> I'm writing documentation on IMA targeting users (not kernel developers).  It includes concepts, details on writing policies, the IMA event log format, utilities, and more.  It aggregates existing scattered documentation, but adds much more.  It's maybe 1/2 done.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. Are there people who could look at it and see if I'm on the right path?
>>
>> It's a lot of work.  I'd like to know that it has some chance of acceptance.
>>
>> 2. What is the process for getting a block of documentation added to https://www.kernel.org/doc/html?
>

> It should be added to the kernel tree in the Documentation/userspace-api/ subdirectory
> or Documentation/security/ subdirectory.  The kernel.org/doc/ web pages are generated
> from what is in the Linux kernel tree.

Ken, if you are not familiar with in-tree kernel documentation, you should take a look
at the Documentation/doc-guide/ subdirectory for some documentation on the documentation.

Also you can ask for help with specific issues at linux-doc@vger.kernel.org

--
~Randy

* Re: Documentation on IMA for Linux Kernel Documentation
@ 2023-03-22 22:02     ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2023-03-22 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-integrity

On 3/13/2023 6:34 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 3/13/23 15:25, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> [add IMA list]
>>
>> On 3/13/23 14:43, Ken Goldman wrote:
>>> I'm writing documentation on IMA targeting users (not kernel developers).  It includes concepts, details on writing policies, the IMA event log format, utilities, and more.  It aggregates existing scattered documentation, but adds much more.  It's maybe 1/2 done.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Are there people who could look at it and see if I'm on the right path?
>>>
>>> It's a lot of work.  I'd like to know that it has some chance of acceptance.
>>>
>>> 2. What is the process for getting a block of documentation added to https://www.kernel.org/doc/html?
>>
>> It should be added to the kernel tree in the Documentation/userspace-api/ subdirectory
>> or Documentation/security/ subdirectory.  The kernel.org/doc/ web pages are generated
>> from what is in the Linux kernel tree.
> Ken, if you are not familiar with in-tree kernel documentation, you should take a look
> at the Documentation/doc-guide/ subdirectory for some documentation on the documentation.
>
> Also you can ask for help with specific issues at linux-doc@vger.kernel.org

I've read the guidelines, coding in rest markdown, using sphinx to test
the web pages.  I think it's right.

1. I was hoping that someone could look at what I'm doing to see if it
has a chance of acceptance.

I.e., I don't want to spend months on this only to get a quick 'nack'.

2. I wonder what the process for submission is.

* Re: Documentation on IMA for Linux Kernel Documentation
@ 2023-03-22 22:58       ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2023-03-22 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ken,

On 3/22/23 15:02, Ken Goldman wrote:
> On 3/13/2023 6:34 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> On 3/13/23 15:25, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>>> [add IMA list]

>>> It should be added to the kernel tree in the Documentation/userspace-api/ subdirectory
>>> or Documentation/security/ subdirectory.  The kernel.org/doc/ web pages are generated
>>> from what is in the Linux kernel tree.
>> Ken, if you are not familiar with in-tree kernel documentation, you should take a look
>> at the Documentation/doc-guide/ subdirectory for some documentation on the documentation.
>>
>> Also you can ask for help with specific issues at linux-doc@vger.kernel.org
>
> I've read the guidelines, coding in rest markdown, using sphinx to test the web pages.  I think it's right.
>
> 1. I was hoping that someone could look at what I'm doing to see if it has a chance of acceptance.
>
> I.e., I don't want to spend months on this only to get a quick 'nack'.
>
> 2. I wonder what the process for submission is.

It's documented in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst,
but just ask if you have any questions about it.

--
~Randy