iommu.lists.linux-foundation.org archive mirror
From: John Garry <john.garry@huawei.com>
To: Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@arm.com>,
	Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>, "Will Deacon" <will@kernel.org>,
	Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com>,
	 Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@arm.com>,
	"Guohanjun (Hanjun Guo)" <guohanjun@huawei.com>
Cc: Saravana Kannan <saravanak@google.com>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@redhat.com>,
	Linuxarm <linuxarm@huawei.com>,
	iommu <iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: arm64 iommu groups issue
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 12:08:48 +0000	[thread overview]

>> Right, and even worse is that it relies on the port driver even
>> existing at all.
>>
>> All this iommu group assignment should be taken outside device driver
>> probe paths.
>>
>> However we could still consider device links for sync'ing the SMMU and
>> each device probing.
>
> Yes, we should get that for DT now thanks to the of_devlink stuff, but
> cooking up some equivalent for IORT might be worthwhile.

It doesn't solve this problem, but at least we could remove the
iommu_ops check in iort_iommu_xlate().

We would need to carve out a path from pci_device_add() or even
device_add() to solve all cases.

>>> Another thought that crosses my mind is that when pci_device_group()
>>> walks up to the point of ACS isolation and doesn't find an existing
>>> group, it can still infer that everything it walked past *should* be put
>>> in the same group it's then eventually going to return. Unfortunately I
>>> can't see an obvious way for it to act on that knowledge, though, since
>>> recursive iommu_probe_device() is unlikely to end well.

[...]

>> And this looks to be the reason for which current
>> iommu_bus_init()->bus_for_each_device(..., add_iommu_group) fails also.
>
> Of course, just adding a 'correct' add_device replay without the
> of_xlate process doesn't help at all. No wonder this looked suspiciously
> simpler than where the first idea left off...
>
> (on reflection, the core of this idea seems to be recycling the existing
> iommu_bus_init walk rather than building up a separate "waiting list",
> while forgetting that that wasn't the difficult part of the original
> idea anyway)

We could still use a bus walk to add the group per iommu, but we would
need an additional check to ensure the device is associated with the IOMMU.

>> On this current code mentioned, the principle of this seems wrong to
>> me - we call bus_for_each_device(..., add_iommu_group) for the first
>> SMMU in the system which probes, but we attempt to add_iommu_group()
>> for all devices on the bus, even though the SMMU for that device may
>> yet to have probed.
>
> Yes, iommu_bus_init() is one of the places still holding a
> deeply-ingrained assumption that the ops go live for all IOMMU instances
> at once, which is what warranted the further replay in
> of_iommu_configure() originally. Moving that out of
> of_platform_device_create() to support probe deferral is where the
> trouble really started.

I'm not too familiar with the history here, but could this be reverted
now with the introduction of of_devlink stuff?

Cheers,
John