linux-kbuild.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-03-16 23:22 ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-03-16 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Masahiro,
I noticed that linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org seems to be missing from
https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html.  Is that intentional or
accidental?
~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-03-17  0:47   ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2020-03-17  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Nick,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 8:22 AM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> Hi Masahiro,
> I noticed that linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org seems to be missing from
> https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html.  Is that intentional or
> accidental?
> --
> Thanks,
> ~Nick Desaulniers

Thanks for letting me know this.
I guess it is accidental.

In fact, I do not know what to do
to take good care of the kbuild ML.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-03-17  1:06     ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2020-03-17  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/16/20 5:47 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 8:22 AM Nick Desaulniers
> <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Masahiro,
>> I noticed that linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org seems to be missing from
>> https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html.  Is that intentional or
>> accidental?
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> ~Nick Desaulniers
>

> Thanks for letting me know this.
> I guess it is accidental.
>
> In fact, I do not know what to do
> to take good care of the kbuild ML.

Maybe ask Sam Ravnborg or Michal Marek if they have kbuild ML archives.

or see if they are available from some other ML archive site, like
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/

My kbuild archive has about 20,000 emails in it, beginning around the
middle of 2011.
I could make that available, but I don't claim that it is complete.

And I'm sure that it has some duplicate emails in it [if an email is
kbuild-related, I put the email into this "folder", no matter what
mailing list it came from].

--
~Randy

* Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-03-17  4:32       ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2020-03-17  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 06:06:20PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 3/16/20 5:47 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 8:22 AM Nick Desaulniers
> > <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Masahiro,
> >> I noticed that linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org seems to be missing from
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html.  Is that intentional or
> >> accidental?
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> ~Nick Desaulniers
> >

> > Thanks for letting me know this.
> > I guess it is accidental.
> >
> > In fact, I do not know what to do
> > to take good care of the kbuild ML.
>
> Maybe ask Sam Ravnborg or Michal Marek if they have kbuild ML archives.

I do the zero-inbox thing, and delete mails when processed.
So sorry, I have no local archieve.

	Sam

* Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-07-08 18:42       ` Nick Desaulniers
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-07-08 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap
	Sam Ravnborg, Nathan Huckleberry, Michal Marek

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

> On 3/16/20 5:47 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 8:22 AM Nick Desaulniers
> > <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Masahiro,
> >> I noticed that linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org seems to be missing from
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html.  Is that intentional or
> >> accidental?
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> ~Nick Desaulniers
> >

> > Thanks for letting me know this.
> > I guess it is accidental.
> >
> > In fact, I do not know what to do
> > to take good care of the kbuild ML.
>
> Maybe ask Sam Ravnborg or Michal Marek if they have kbuild ML archives.
>
> or see if they are available from some other ML archive site, like
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/
>

> My kbuild archive has about 20,000 emails in it, beginning around the
> middle of 2011.
> I could make that available, but I don't claim that it is complete.
>
> And I'm sure that it has some duplicate emails in it [if an email is
> kbuild-related, I put the email into this "folder", no matter what
> mailing list it came from].

https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html links to
https://www.kernel.org/lore.html links to
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html
which seems to indicate that we need such an archive.

cc'ing help desk for the request.  It looks like we need to
collect+merge then sanitize mboxes.  Randy, if we could start with
your archive, I'd be happy to help drive this across the finish line.

@ 2020-07-08 20:42         ` Randy Dunlap
       [not found]         ` <rt-4.4.0-1686-1594408327-1443.93182-6-0@linuxfoundation>
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2020-07-08 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers

On 7/8/20 11:42 AM, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 6:06 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/16/20 5:47 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>>> Hi Nick,

>>> Thanks for letting me know this.
>>> I guess it is accidental.
>>>
>>> In fact, I do not know what to do
>>> to take good care of the kbuild ML.
>>
>> Maybe ask Sam Ravnborg or Michal Marek if they have kbuild ML archives.
>>
>> or see if they are available from some other ML archive site, like
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/
>>

>> My kbuild archive has about 20,000 emails in it, beginning around the
>> middle of 2011.
>> I could make that available, but I don't claim that it is complete.
>>
>> And I'm sure that it has some duplicate emails in it [if an email is
>> kbuild-related, I put the email into this "folder", no matter what
>> mailing list it came from].
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html links to
> https://www.kernel.org/lore.html links to
> https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html
> which seems to indicate that we need such an archive.
>
> cc'ing help desk for the request.  It looks like we need to
> collect+merge then sanitize mboxes.  Randy, if we could start with
> your archive, I'd be happy to help drive this across the finish line.

Hi,

As long as you or someone will go thru the mbox file (about 164 MB or
34 MB when gzipped) and select emails that are To: or Cc:
linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org, I'm OK with making it available.
The reason I say that is because it just might have some personal
emails in it that should not be added to a public archive.

Also, as I said earlier, once the correct emails are selected,
there are going to be duplicates of many of them, so dropping
those duplicates (or triplicates etc.) would be a Good Idea.

Has anyone thought about trying to get the kbuild archive from
marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild ?  or contacted the marc.info admin?

--
~Randy

* [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] [linuxfoundation.org #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-07-08 20:43           ` rdunlap@infradead.org via RT
From: rdunlap@infradead.org via RT @ 2020-07-08 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndesaulniers; +Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, sam

@ 2020-07-08 20:49           ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-07-08 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap, webguy

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 1:43 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

> On 7/8/20 11:42 AM, Nick Desaulniers wrote:

> >> Maybe ask Sam Ravnborg or Michal Marek if they have kbuild ML archives.
> >>
> >> or see if they are available from some other ML archive site, like
> >> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/
> >>

> >> My kbuild archive has about 20,000 emails in it, beginning around the
> >> middle of 2011.
> >> I could make that available, but I don't claim that it is complete.
> >>
> >> And I'm sure that it has some duplicate emails in it [if an email is
> >> kbuild-related, I put the email into this "folder", no matter what
> >> mailing list it came from].
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html links to
> > https://www.kernel.org/lore.html links to
> > https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html
> > which seems to indicate that we need such an archive.
> >
> > cc'ing help desk for the request.  It looks like we need to
> > collect+merge then sanitize mboxes.  Randy, if we could start with
> > your archive, I'd be happy to help drive this across the finish line.
>
> Hi,
>
> As long as you or someone will go thru the mbox file (about 164 MB or
> 34 MB when gzipped) and select emails that are To: or Cc:
> linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org, I'm OK with making it available.
> The reason I say that is because it just might have some personal
> emails in it that should not be added to a public archive.

Oh, sure. Maybe better than to try to get a cleaner copy from
marc.info then, as you suggest.

> Also, as I said earlier, once the correct emails are selected,
> there are going to be duplicates of many of them, so dropping
> those duplicates (or triplicates etc.) would be a Good Idea.
>

> Has anyone thought about trying to get the kbuild archive from
> marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild ?  or contacted the marc.info admin?

Clicking "add a list" on
https://marc.info/
opens an emailto: link to webguy@marc.info, so adding them here.
Dear marc.info admin, is exporting a copy of the linux-kbuild mail
archive something that you can help us with?

~Nick Desaulniers

* [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] [linuxfoundation.org #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-07-08 20:49             ` Nick Desaulniers via RT
From: Nick Desaulniers via RT @ 2020-07-08 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

@ 2020-07-08 21:45             ` Hank Leininger
From: Hank Leininger @ 2020-07-08 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers
	helpdesk, Sam Ravnborg, Nathan Huckleberry, Michal Marek

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 01:49:18PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 1:43 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

[snip]
> > Has anyone thought about trying to get the kbuild archive from
> > marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild ?  or contacted the marc.info admin?
>
> Clicking "add a list" on
> https://marc.info/
> opens an emailto: link to webguy@marc.info, so adding them here.
> Dear marc.info admin, is exporting a copy of the linux-kbuild mail
> archive something that you can help us with?

Hi! That sounds like it should be doable; we keep .gz backups of all
the lists we're subscribed to. At a quick glance I have them going back
to Jan 2, 2008, I thiiiink uninterrupted. There's probably some spam
that got sent to the list and/or sent to our subscribed address
included.

Can someone please contact me off-thread and we'll work out details of
how to best get them to you?

Hank Leininger <hlein@marc.info>
ED0E 3040 4240 1DD9 5B2E  6DEC A60B CB9D 0939 76F7

* Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-07-08 21:47               ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-07-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hank Leininger

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 2:45 PM Hank Leininger <hlein@marc.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 01:49:18PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:

> [snip]
> > > Has anyone thought about trying to get the kbuild archive from
> > > marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild ?  or contacted the marc.info admin?
> >
> > Clicking "add a list" on
> > https://marc.info/
> > opens an emailto: link to webguy@marc.info, so adding them here.
> > Dear marc.info admin, is exporting a copy of the linux-kbuild mail
> > archive something that you can help us with?
>
> Hi! That sounds like it should be doable; we keep .gz backups of all
> the lists we're subscribed to. At a quick glance I have them going back
> to Jan 2, 2008, I thiiiink uninterrupted. There's probably some spam
> that got sent to the list and/or sent to our subscribed address
> included.
>
> Can someone please contact me off-thread and we'll work out details of
> how to best get them to you?

(On thread) I'll follow up on this (so that we don't have a bunch of
off threads created)

@ 2020-07-08 21:47                 ` Nick Desaulniers via RT
From: Nick Desaulniers via RT @ 2020-07-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

@ 2020-07-08 21:52               ` Hank Leininger via RT
From: Hank Leininger via RT @ 2020-07-08 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndesaulniers; +Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 01:49:18PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 1:43 PM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

[snip]
> > Has anyone thought about trying to get the kbuild archive from
> > marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild ?  or contacted the marc.info admin?
>
> Clicking "add a list" on
> https://marc.info/
> opens an emailto: link to webguy@marc.info, so adding them here.
> Dear marc.info admin, is exporting a copy of the linux-kbuild mail
> archive something that you can help us with?

Hi! That sounds like it should be doable; we keep .gz backups of all
the lists we're subscribed to. At a quick glance I have them going back
to Jan 2, 2008, I thiiiink uninterrupted. There's probably some spam
that got sent to the list and/or sent to our subscribed address
included.

Can someone please contact me off-thread and we'll work out details of
how to best get them to you?

Hank Leininger <hlein@marc.info>
ED0E 3040 4240 1DD9 5B2E  6DEC A60B CB9D 0939 76F7

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/x-rt-original-message, Size: 5345 bytes --]

* [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
       [not found]         ` <rt-4.4.0-1686-1594408327-1443.93182-6-0@linuxfoundation>
@ 2020-07-27 21:33           ` Chris Hoy Poy via RT
From: Chris Hoy Poy via RT @ 2020-07-27 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndesaulniers; +Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

Hi all,

Apologies for delays!

Have just tried to grab this shared file, and I'm getting 403'd (violates terms),

I have an archiver subscribed, so new emails are being collected.

cheers
/Chris

--
Chris Hoy Poy
Collaborative Projects IT

* Re: [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-07-27 22:30             ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-07-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-helpdesk
	Nathan Huckleberry, Randy Dunlap, Sam Ravnborg

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:33 PM Chris Hoy Poy via RT
<kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apologies for delays!
>
> Have just tried to grab this shared file, and I'm getting 403'd (violates terms),
>
> I have an archiver subscribed, so new emails are being collected.

Ever since a certain engineer decided to exfiltrate documents
regarding LIDAR we now internally have a completely locked down (read:
useless) version of google drive.  If you can send me your email
(other than kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation) off list, then I might
be able to share this with you that way.  I was able to send an invite
to the helpdesk email, but I suspect that just filed a ticket
somewhere.

> cheers
> /Chris
>

> On Sat Jul 11 03:12:07 2020, ndesaulniers@google.com wrote:
> > Hello, can the admin of the lore.kernel.org helpdesk please accept the
> > following sanitized archive?
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0oS3fCYxGhB0p_IQum9Gh20B3aFxKeI/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > With generous assistance from Hank Leininger from marc.info, I was
> > able to get mbox's for linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org dating back to
> > 2008.
> >
> > The archive was provided as a tarball of directories of gzip archives.
> > To generate the above, I ran:
> >
> > $ tar xvf linux-kbuild_2008-2020.tar
> > $ find . -name \*.gz | xargs gunzip
> > $ for F in $(find untared -type f); do ./list-archive-maker.py -s $F
> > -e linux-kbuild -k linux-kbuild-known-ids.txt -l linux-
> > kbuild.vger.kernel.org; done
> > $ tar cf linux-kbuild.tar linux-kbuild
> > $ xz -9 linux-kbuild.tar
> >
> > as per https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html.
> >
> > This response is via the ticket #93182 filed at
> > rt.linuxfoundation.org's web site.
> > Thanks,
> > ~Nick Desaulniers
>

> --
> Chris Hoy Poy
> Collaborative Projects IT
> The Linux Foundation

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-07-27 22:30               ` Nick Desaulniers via RT
From: Nick Desaulniers via RT @ 2020-07-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:33 PM Chris Hoy Poy via RT
<kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apologies for delays!
>
> Have just tried to grab this shared file, and I'm getting 403'd (violates terms),
>
> I have an archiver subscribed, so new emails are being collected.

Ever since a certain engineer decided to exfiltrate documents
regarding LIDAR we now internally have a completely locked down (read:
useless) version of google drive.  If you can send me your email
(other than kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation) off list, then I might
be able to share this with you that way.  I was able to send an invite
to the helpdesk email, but I suspect that just filed a ticket
somewhere.

> cheers
> /Chris
>

> On Sat Jul 11 03:12:07 2020, ndesaulniers@google.com wrote:
> > Hello, can the admin of the lore.kernel.org helpdesk please accept the
> > following sanitized archive?
> >
> > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0oS3fCYxGhB0p_IQum9Gh20B3aFxKeI/view?usp=sharing
> >
> > With generous assistance from Hank Leininger from marc.info, I was
> > able to get mbox's for linux-kbuild@vger.kernel.org dating back to
> > 2008.
> >
> > The archive was provided as a tarball of directories of gzip archives.
> > To generate the above, I ran:
> >
> > $ tar xvf linux-kbuild_2008-2020.tar
> > $ find . -name \*.gz | xargs gunzip
> > $ for F in $(find untared -type f); do ./list-archive-maker.py -s $F
> > -e linux-kbuild -k linux-kbuild-known-ids.txt -l linux-
> > kbuild.vger.kernel.org; done
> > $ tar cf linux-kbuild.tar linux-kbuild
> > $ xz -9 linux-kbuild.tar
> >
> > as per https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html.
> >
> > This response is via the ticket #93182 filed at
> > rt.linuxfoundation.org's web site.
> > Thanks,
> > ~Nick Desaulniers
>

> --
> Chris Hoy Poy
> Collaborative Projects IT
> The Linux Foundation

~Nick Desaulniers

@ 2020-08-06  3:49         ` Chris Hoy Poy via RT
From: Chris Hoy Poy via RT @ 2020-08-06  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndesaulniers; +Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

Hi all,

This should be active at

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kbuild

I dont think we missed any, but there might have been a few slip past the gap between the archive and the subscription being active, feel free to forward a quick list of those days if necessary, and I'll pull them in too.

cheers
/Chris

@ 2020-08-06  8:11           ` Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2020-08-06  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-helpdesk
	Nathan Huckleberry, Randy Dunlap, Sam Ravnborg

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:49 PM Chris Hoy Poy via RT
<kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This should be active at
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kbuild

Thank you very much!

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-08-06  8:12             ` masahiroy@kernel.org via RT
From: masahiroy@kernel.org via RT @ 2020-08-06  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ndesaulniers; +Cc: linux-kbuild, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* Re: [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-08-06 17:27           ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2020-08-06 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-helpdesk
	Nathan Huckleberry, Randy Dunlap, Sam Ravnborg

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 8:49 PM Chris Hoy Poy via RT
<kernel-helpdesk@rt.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This should be active at
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kbuild

Looks great! Thanks for getting this stood up for us Chris, we appreciate it.

> I dont think we missed any, but there might have been a few slip past the gap between the archive and the subscription being active, feel free to forward a quick list of those days if necessary, and I'll pull them in too.

Comparing https://marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild, there's a small hole
between July 8-July 27/29.  I've reached out to Hank who can help get
me the archive for those dates, and I'll rerun the sanitizer and reach
out to you with a link.  Then it looks like lore.kernel.org should be
pretty complete for kbuild.
~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: [Kernel.org Helpdesk #93182] Re: linux-kbuild missing from lore?
@ 2020-08-06 17:27             ` Nick Desaulniers via RT
From: Nick Desaulniers via RT @ 2020-08-06 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kbuild, masahiroy, michal.lkml, nhuck, rdunlap, sam