* Books on writing linux device drivers
@ 2008-03-03 18:00 Neal Becker
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-03-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am about to start on writing a linux device driver.  What books are
recommended?  There are some books that are a few years old now, that deal
with 2.4 kernel.  What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?

* Re: Books on writing linux device drivers
@ 2008-03-03 18:25 ` Kristof Provost
From: Kristof Provost @ 2008-03-03 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: linux-kernel

* Re: Books on writing linux device drivers
@ 2008-03-03 18:31 ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2008-03-03 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 03/03/2008 07:00 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I am about to start on writing a linux device driver.  What books are
> recommended?  There are some books that are a few years old now, that deal
> with 2.4 kernel.  What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?

google://ldd3
Documentation/kernel-docs.txt

* Re: Books on writing linux device drivers
@ 2008-03-03 18:32 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2008-03-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I am about to start on writing a linux device driver.  What books are
> recommended?  There are some books that are a few years old now, that deal
> with 2.4 kernel.  What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?

LDD3 covers the 2.6.10 kernel:

	http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

That's still on the old side at this point, of course, but it's a far
cry from 2.4.

jon

* Re: Books on writing linux device drivers
@ 2008-03-03 18:36   ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2008-03-03 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristof Provost; +Cc: Neal Becker, linux-kernel

> On 2008-03-03 13:00:26 (-0500), Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am about to start on writing a linux device driver.  What books are
>> recommended?  There are some books that are a few years old now, that
>> deal
>> with 2.4 kernel.  What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?
> Recent revisions of "Linux Device Drivers". You may wish to address such
> questions to Google in the future.

I think he is also looking for ones that are good, not just what is
available.

Greg Kroah-Hartman had a book written on Kernel Device Drivers.  get the
latest edition of that.

More info on his web page on writing device drivers, with examples.

http://www.kroah.com/linux/