* CLONE_NEWNS and bind mounts to make "chroot" jail
@ 2008-03-01 17:05 Leibowitz, Michael
From: Leibowitz, Michael @ 2008-03-01 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have been trying to use the combination of CLONE_NEWNS and bind mounts
to create a better (than) chroot jail.  I wish to have the ability to
bind (ro will be possible in the future, I understand) certain
directories into the jail (perhaps /bin, /lib, /usr), but not have
parallel directories in the jail (no /etc, ..., /home).

I have heard that this should be possible, but have yet to get a working
solution.

I have tried something analogous to:
chdir("/jail");
unshare(CLONE_NEWNS);
/* mount(8) syntax given for simplicity, but mount(2) used below */
mount --bind / /jail/old_root
mount --bind /jail/old_root/bin /jail/bin
mount --bind /jail/old_root/usr /jail/usr
mount --bind /jail/old_root/lib /jail/lib
mount --bind /jail /               # does nothing?
umount2("/old_root", MNT_DETACH);  # never happens.
exec("bin/sh");

When bin/sh runs, I can still see old_root from /jail and the bind of
/jail over / seems to have not done anything.

Is it possible to create such a jail with bind mounts?  Is there a
recommended method for doing so?  Thank you for your time.

--
Michael Leibowitz
Software Engineer, UMG
michael.leibowitz at intel.com

* Re: CLONE_NEWNS and bind mounts to make "chroot" jail
@ 2008-03-02  2:26 ` serge
From: serge @ 2008-03-02  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leibowitz, Michael; +Cc: linux-kernel

Quoting Leibowitz, Michael (michael.leibowitz@intel.com):
> I have been trying to use the combination of CLONE_NEWNS and bind mounts
> to create a better (than) chroot jail.  I wish to have the ability to
> bind (ro will be possible in the future, I understand) certain
> directories into the jail (perhaps /bin, /lib, /usr), but not have
> parallel directories in the jail (no /etc, ..., /home).
>
> I have heard that this should be possible, but have yet to get a working
> solution.
>
> I have tried something analogous to:

Try a few more things.  Since you had entered /jail, you can view '/' by
looking at .. .  But if you look at /, you dereference your
task->fsroot.  You never changed that, so it points to the original
mount.  If however you 'ls ..', you should see your 'jail' directory.
However it won't have the /bin and /lib mounted because you didn't
	mount --rbind /jail /
What you really want to do is
	mount --bind /jail /jail
to make sure it's a mountpoint, then set up the new /jail using bind
mounts like you're doing (and likely some rbinds in some places), then
use pivot_root() to change your root.  Then umount2("/old_root",
MNT_DETACH).

-serge

@ 2008-03-03  6:56   ` Leibowitz, Michael
From: Leibowitz, Michael @ 2008-03-03  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: serge; +Cc: linux-kernel

If I understand correctly, the following should accomplish what I'm
looking for.  However, pivot_root gives me EBUSY.  I played around with
moving the mount --bind /jail /jail to before the unshared, as well as
making old_root a bind mount to itself.  However, pivot_root always
seems to fail.  Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong?  The
following is my test code (error checking has been removed for clarity,
except for pivot_root).

  char *newargv[]= { "sh", NULL };

  chdir("/jail");
  unshare(CLONE_NEWNS));
  mount("/jail", "/jail", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
  mount("/bin", "bin", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
  mount("/usr", "usr", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
  mount("/lib", "lib", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
  if (pivot_root(".", "old_root")) perror("pivot_root . old_root");
  exec("./bash-static"); /* copied to /jail prior to running */

Thanks.

>Serge replies:
 [snip...snip]

--
Michael Leibowitz
Software Engineer, UMG
michael.leibowitz at intel.com

* Re: CLONE_NEWNS and bind mounts to make "chroot" jail
@ 2008-03-04 21:45     ` serge
From: serge @ 2008-03-04 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leibowitz, Michael; +Cc: serge, linux-kernel

Quoting Leibowitz, Michael (michael.leibowitz@intel.com):
> If I understand correctly, the following should accomplish what I'm
> looking for.  However, pivot_root gives me EBUSY.  I played around with
> moving the mount --bind /jail /jail to before the unshared, as well as
> making old_root a bind mount to itself.  However, pivot_root always
> seems to fail.  Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong?  The

Yes, you
	cd /jail
	mount --bind /jail /jail
	pivot_root . old_root

but . is now mounted over.

-serge

@ 2008-03-05  6:23       ` Leibowitz, Michael
From: Leibowitz, Michael @ 2008-03-05  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: serge; +Cc: linux-kernel

I'm not 100% sure if this is what you meant, but I did get the following
to work:

chdir("/jail");
unshare(CLONE_NEWNS);
mount("/jail", "/jail", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
pivot_root("/jail", "/jail/old_root");
chdir("/");
mount("/old_root/bin", "bin", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
mount("/old_root/usr", "usr", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
mount("/old_root/lib", "lib", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
umount2("/old_root", MNT_DETACH);
exec("/busybox");

Thanks for the help.

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 15:45 -0600, serge@hallyn.com wrote:
> Quoting Leibowitz, Michael (michael.leibowitz@intel.com):
> Yes, you
> 	cd /jail
> 	mount --bind /jail /jail
> 	pivot_root . old_root
>
> but . is now mounted over.
> >   char *newargv[]= { "sh", NULL };
> >
> >   chdir("/jail");
> >   unshare(CLONE_NEWNS));
> >   mount("/jail", "/jail", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
> >   mount("/bin", "bin", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
> >   mount("/usr", "usr", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
> >   mount("/lib", "lib", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
> >   if (pivot_root(".", "old_root")) perror("pivot_root . old_root");
> >   exec("./bash-static"); /* copied to /jail prior to running */

--
Michael Leibowitz <michael.leibowitz@intel.com>

* RE: CLONE_NEWNS and bind mounts to make "chroot" jail
       [not found]   ` <a3cOQ-1eQ-3@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2008-03-03 15:54     ` Bodo Eggert
From: Bodo Eggert @ 2008-03-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leibowitz, Michael, serge, linux-kernel

Leibowitz, Michael <michael.leibowitz@intel.com> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the following should accomplish what I'm
> looking for.  However, pivot_root gives me EBUSY.  I played around with
> moving the mount --bind /jail /jail to before the unshared, as well as
> making old_root a bind mount to itself.  However, pivot_root always
> seems to fail.  Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong?  The
> following is my test code (error checking has been removed for clarity,
> except for pivot_root).
>
>   char *newargv[]= { "sh", NULL };
>
>   chdir("/jail");
>   unshare(CLONE_NEWNS));
>   mount("/jail", "/jail", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
>   mount("/bin", "bin", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
>   mount("/usr", "usr", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
>   mount("/lib", "lib", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL));
>   if (pivot_root(".", "old_root")) perror("pivot_root . old_root");
>   exec("./bash-static"); /* copied to /jail prior to running */

This works for me:

#include <sys/mount.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <sched.h>

#define MNT_DETACH      2       /* Detach from tree only */

int main()
{
  unshare(CLONE_NEWNS);
  mount("jail", "jail", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
  mount("/bin", "jail/bin", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
  mount("/usr", "jail/usr", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
  mount("/lib", "jail/lib", NULL, MS_BIND, NULL);
  /* abuse bin as the temporary old root directory */
  if (pivot_root("jail", "jail/bin"))
    perror("pivot_root");
  chdir("/");
  umount2("bin", MNT_DETACH);
  execl("./sash", NULL); /* copied to /jail prior to running */
}