* Linux distribution
@ 2010-12-23 20:45 Ozgur Karatas
From: Ozgur Karatas @ 2010-12-23 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

sorry, I don't want to engaged in the linux kernel mailing list but I would
like to use a Linux distribution proposed by the kernel developers.

Which Linux distribution would you recommend me?

Thank you,

Regards

Ozgur

* Re: Linux distribution
@ 2010-12-25 15:50 ` Andreas Mohr
From: Andreas Mohr @ 2010-12-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ozgur Karatas; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

[picking up this orphan posting ;)]

choice of Linux distribution is a quite subjective thing.

Myself, I'm tending towards Debian-based distributions.
If your email handle is true to the core, then perhaps Debian stable
would be a good idea, otherwise choose an "easier on the user" variant
like SimplyMEPIS, MINT or even Ubuntu.

Reason being that with Debian installation of all kernel-related
packages (build-essential, libncurses5-dev etc.) is a simple matter
(which OTOH I'm sure is the case with many non-Debian distros as well).

Or if you want to be right at the forefront of Linux development,
then perhaps choosing a nicely integrated source-based distribution
such as Arch is a good idea to always have fresh packages.

But generally choice of distribution shouldn't really matter (in case
one is using a capable desktop distribution, of course).

HTH,

Andreas Mohr

* Re: Linux distribution
@ 2010-12-25 19:02   ` Zimny Lech
From: Zimny Lech @ 2010-12-25 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Mohr; +Cc: Ozgur Karatas, linux-kernel

Ave

2010/12/25 Andreas Mohr <andi@lisas.de>:
> Hi,
>
> [picking up this orphan posting ;)]
>
> choice of Linux distribution is a quite subjective thing.
>
> Myself, I'm tending towards Debian-based distributions.
> If your email handle is true to the core, then perhaps Debian stable
> would be a good idea, otherwise choose an "easier on the user" variant
> like SimplyMEPIS, MINT or even Ubuntu.
>
> Reason being that with Debian installation of all kernel-related
> packages (build-essential, libncurses5-dev etc.) is a simple matter
> (which OTOH I'm sure is the case with many non-Debian distros as well).
>
> Or if you want to be right at the forefront of Linux development,
> then perhaps choosing a nicely integrated source-based distribution
> such as Arch is a good idea to always have fresh packages.
>
> But generally choice of distribution shouldn't really matter (in case
> one is using a capable desktop distribution, of course).

Agreed - it doesn't really matter. But if he want a distro that is
used by developers, he may want to take a look at page 13 of
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/docs/lf_linux_kernel_development_2010.pdf
top kernel contributors by company.

I don't see anything related to distros that you proposed :P

> HTH,
>
> Andreas Mohr

Slawa!
Zimny "Spie dziadu!" Lech z Wawelu

Hej, tam!
Wydarłem klejnot szans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXWTlYzVFUA

* Re: Linux distribution
@ 2010-12-25 19:58 ` Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2010-12-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ozgur Karatas; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Ozgur Karatas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry, I don't want to engaged in the linux kernel mailing list but I would
> like to use a Linux distribution proposed by the kernel developers.
>
> Which Linux distribution would you recommend me?

The one that you prefer to use.

The distribution you use should have no bearing on your abillity to hack
on the kernel - use whatever you feel comfortable with. As long as you
have the proper tools available to obtain up-to-date kernel source
(git), build a custom kernel (gcc and friends), install and boot a custom
kernel, and your favorite text editor - you should be good to go.

LKML people use a lot of different distributions - it really doesn't
matter much. Me personally, I use Slackware Linux and Arch Linux.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@chaosbits.net>            http://www.chaosbits.net/
Plain text mails only, please.

* Re: Linux distribution
@ 2010-12-26  4:59   ` Anca Emanuel
From: Anca Emanuel @ 2010-12-26  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Juhl; +Cc: Ozgur Karatas, linux-kernel

I'm using ubuntu.
Be prepared to fill bugs if you choose other distribution.
I have done that.

the result is here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

* Re: Linux distribution
@ 2010-12-26 12:16     ` Zimny Lech
From: Zimny Lech @ 2010-12-26 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anca Emanuel; +Cc: Jesper Juhl, Ozgur Karatas, linux-kernel

2010/12/26 Anca Emanuel <anca.emanuel@gmail.com>:
> I'm using ubuntu.
> Be prepared to fill bugs if you choose other distribution.

LOL :)

> I have done that.

LOL :)

> the result is here: