* High resolution timers on AT91SAM926x
       [not found] <d6c8ef150803010952g666118dfu7679593b3c92c8be@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2008-03-01 17:59 ` Bosko Radivojevic
From: Bosko Radivojevic @ 2008-03-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

 Is there a way to enable high resolution timers on AT91SAM926x? The
best resolution I can get (kernel 2.6.23.11-rt14 with at91 patch from
maxim.org.za) is around 1ms. Is there any other way to get timers with
better resolution?

When I enable CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME and CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS (as
prerequisites for CONFIG_HIGH_RES) I'm unable to compile at91 part of
kernel.

Is there any "unofficial" patch? I saw that in 2.6.24 high res is
supported for ARM, but AT91 still lacks support.

$ cat /proc/timer_list
Timer List Version: v0.3
HRTIMER_MAX_CLOCK_BASES: 2
now at 11995813000 nsecs

cpu: 0
 clock 0:
  .index:      0
  .resolution: 999961 nsecs
  .get_time:   ktime_get_real
 active timers:
 clock 1:
  .index:      1
  .resolution: 999961 nsecs
  .get_time:   ktime_get
active timers:
 #0: <c388de9c>, it_real_fn, S:01
 # expires at 1207195374000 nsecs [in 1195199561000 nsecs]

Thanks!

* Re: High resolution timers on AT91SAM926x
@ 2008-03-04 20:55           ` Wolfgang Grandegger
From: Wolfgang Grandegger @ 2008-03-04 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remy Bohmer; +Cc: David Brownell, Bosko Radivojevic, lkml, linux-rt-users, tglx

Remy Bohmer wrote:
> Hello Bosko/Dave,
>
>> On Monday 03 March 2008, Bosko Radivojevic wrote:
>>
>>> I had CONFIG_ATMEL_TCLIB enabled, but not TCB_CLKSRC and
>>  > TCB_CLKSRC_BLOCK=0. With all those options, I finally have HRT
>>  > functionality. But, strange thing is that jitter of my little example
>>  > (get time, sleep 1ms, get time, show the difference) is around 250us.
>>  > Maybe this is normal for this architecture?
>> I have no idea why that would be.  Maybe you can find out.  :)
>
> These are normal figures for this core, on preempt-rt.
> You are talking about jitter on timers. While on preempt-rt the worst
> case latency of scheduling a RT-thread is about 300us, 250us is thus
> quite normal, and actually quite good... (the kernel-mainline average
> latency is better, but worst-case is unbound)
> (Note: The 300 us seem to be caused by something in the networking
> layer, without network I noticed worst case latencies about 150us, but
> NO guarantee here)

This confirms our observation with PowerPC MPC5200 boards (running at
400 MHz). Without networking, the worst case latency measured with
cyclictest does not exceed 100 us. With networking, and especially with
the NFS file-system, latencies go up to 170 us. I also measured external
interrupt latencies with an external log system using GPIO pins but was
unable to achieve latencies below 1ms. This needs more debugging.

Wolfgang.

* Re: High resolution timers on AT91SAM926x
@ 2008-03-04 20:22         ` Remy Bohmer
From: Remy Bohmer @ 2008-03-04 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell, Bosko Radivojevic; +Cc: lkml, linux-rt-users, tglx

Hello Bosko/Dave,

> On Monday 03 March 2008, Bosko Radivojevic wrote:
>
> > I had CONFIG_ATMEL_TCLIB enabled, but not TCB_CLKSRC and
>  > TCB_CLKSRC_BLOCK=0. With all those options, I finally have HRT
>  > functionality. But, strange thing is that jitter of my little example
>  > (get time, sleep 1ms, get time, show the difference) is around 250us.
>  > Maybe this is normal for this architecture?
> I have no idea why that would be.  Maybe you can find out.  :)

These are normal figures for this core, on preempt-rt.
You are talking about jitter on timers. While on preempt-rt the worst
case latency of scheduling a RT-thread is about 300us, 250us is thus
quite normal, and actually quite good... (the kernel-mainline average
latency is better, but worst-case is unbound)
(Note: The 300 us seem to be caused by something in the networking
layer, without network I noticed worst case latencies about 150us, but
NO guarantee here)

But, besides the worst-case schedule latency; the interrupt handler is
shared with the handler of the DBGU. There are patches available to
split the interrupt handler, this will make this behavior somewhat
better, but do not expect miracles here.

I stopped using HRT on these cores and preempt-RT for quite some time
now (several months), because the smaller timer granularity will allow
applications to make timers elapse on sub-millisec intervals, where
each interval generates a interrupt handling cycle of about 50 -
>100us, especially if different applications use periodic timers which
are out of sync.
This will become visible as extreme CPU-load figures on applications
with 1 ms timers.
13-15% CPU load on a application with just 1 single 1 ms timer is
quite normal...

FWIW: For getting the most accurate realtime response for periodic
timers, I used a TC block to generate a periodic interrupt, that only
needs to wake up a RT-thread. This way the OS-timer framework can be
used for non-RT stuff, and/or slow timers. This is much less heavy on
this core, and gives much better/deterministic RT results.
(This is not what I prefer to do, but these cores are just not that
fast as multi-gigahertz X86 PCs ;-)) )

Kind Regards,

Remy

@ 2008-03-04  1:29       ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2008-03-04  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bosko Radivojevic; +Cc: lkml, linux-rt-users, tglx

@ 2008-03-03 21:42     ` Bosko Radivojevic
From: Bosko Radivojevic @ 2008-03-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: lkml, linux-rt-users, tglx

David,

I had CONFIG_ATMEL_TCLIB enabled, but not TCB_CLKSRC and
TCB_CLKSRC_BLOCK=0. With all those options, I finally have HRT
functionality. But, strange thing is that jitter of my little example
(get time, sleep 1ms, get time, show the difference) is around 250us.
Maybe this is normal for this architecture?

System is (as noted on rt.wik site) very slow with NO_HZ option enabled.

Thanks again!

@ 2008-03-03 18:39   ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2008-03-03 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bosko Radivojevic; +Cc: lkml, linux-rt-users, tglx

@ 2008-03-03 10:26 ` Bosko Radivojevic
From: Bosko Radivojevic @ 2008-03-03 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brownell; +Cc: lkml, linux-rt-users, tglx

David,

thank you for the reply. But, I'm getting pretty strange behavior.
I've applied all your patches to 2.6.23.11-rt14 (with official at91
patch for 2.6.23) kernel without any major rejects. Here is a snippet
from the .config:

CONFIG_GENERIC_GPIO=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_HARDIRQS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_IRQ_PROBE=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_GENERIC_SPINLOCK=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_HWEIGHT=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CALIBRATE_DELAY=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS_BUILD=y
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
CONFIG_AT91_TIMER_HZ=1000
# CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set
CONFIG_HZ=1000

$ cat /proc/timer_list
Timer List Version: v0.3
HRTIMER_MAX_CLOCK_BASES: 2
now at 3782337012585 nsecs

cpu: 0
 clock 0:
  .index:      0
  .resolution: 999961 nsecs
  .get_time:   ktime_get_real
  .offset:     0 nsecs
active timers:
 clock 1:
  .index:      1
  .resolution: 999961 nsecs
  .get_time:   ktime_get
  .offset:     0 nsecs
active timers:
 #0: <c3b2de90>, it_real_fn, S:01
 # expires at 4807555046495 nsecs [in 1025218033910 nsecs]
  .expires_next   : 2147483646999999999 nsecs
  .hres_active    : 0
  .nr_events      : 0
  .nohz_mode      : 0
  .idle_tick      : 0 nsecs
  .tick_stopped   : 0
  .idle_jiffies   : 0
  .idle_calls     : 0
  .idle_sleeps    : 0
  .idle_entrytime : 0 nsecs
  .idle_sleeptime : 0 nsecs
  .last_jiffies   : 0
  .next_jiffies   : 0
  .idle_expires   : 0 nsecs
jiffies: 3482489

Tick Device: mode:     0
Clock Event Device: pit
 max_delta_ns:   0
 min_delta_ns:   0
 mult:           26663156
 shift:          32
 mode:           2
 next_event:     0 nsecs
 set_next_event: __init_begin
 set_mode:       pit_clkevt_mode
 event_handler:  tick_handle_periodic

Also, I wrote a small example to test the behaviour (sleeping 1ms):

#define period 500000
#define onesecond 1000000000

 mlockall();
 sp.sched_priority = 90;
 printf ("setscheduler = %d\n", sched_setscheduler (0, SCHED_FIFO, &sp));
 printf ("setparam = %d\n", sched_setparam (0, &sp));

 while (++loop < 30000) {
   clock_gettime (CLOCK_MONOTONIC, &ts);
   if (ts.tv_nsec + period > onesecond) {
     ts2.tv_sec = ts.tv_sec + 1;
     ts2.tv_nsec = (ts.tv_nsec + period) - onesecond;
   } else {
     ts2.tv_sec = ts.tv_sec;
     ts2.tv_nsec = ts.tv_nsec + period;
   }
   clock_nanosleep (CLOCK_MONOTONIC, TIMER_ABSTIME, &ts2, 0);
   clock_gettime (CLOCK_MONOTONIC, &ts3);
   diff = ((ts3.tv_sec - ts.tv_sec)*onesecond+ts3.tv_nsec) - ts.tv_nsec;
   if (!min && !max)
     min = max = diff;
   if (diff > max)
     max = diff;
   if (diff < min)
     min = diff;
   printf ("%ld %ld\n", min, max);
 }

I'm getting this as a result:
1890872 2924656

So, the minimal difference is almost a 2ms, maximum 3ms. I ran this
test for a long period, without any load on the system (except
printing out results through network). Alsto, I'm wondering why
minimal latency is 1890872, it is less then twice 999961 (timer
resolution).

What I am doing wrong? Is there a way to sleep 1ms? I tried to adjust
(/3, /5, etc) pit_cycle in pit_init but all I got was to lock the
system ;)

Thanks!

@ 2008-03-01 22:57 David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 2008-03-01 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)