linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] dual adapter machine
@ 2000-08-07 10:33 Michael Lausch
From: Michael Lausch @ 2000-08-07 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

We are going to use linux LVM on some servers using 2 FCAL adapters
per machine, since our RAID System (HP XP256) has two FCAL
channels. So in order to have no single point of failure, we want to
use 2 FCAL adapters in each machine, connected to the same (virttual)
disks. This means i see the same partition on two controlers.

For example: controller 1, SCSIID 3, LUN 1, Partition 1
and          controller 2, SCSIID 3, LUN 1, Partition 1

refer to the same blocks.

So when everything is okay i'll talk to the disk through c1d3l1s1 (in
solaris notation). When this FCAL has an error, i want to talk to the
same disk via c2d3l1s1. How can this be done with linux LVM?

Anybody got any ideas?

thanks in advance.
--
michael lausch

* Re: [linux-lvm] dual adapter machine
@ 2000-08-09 20:59 ` Eric Smith
From: Eric Smith @ 2000-08-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franken Klaus; +Cc: 'Michael Lausch', linux-lvm

I think LVM should be made to do it.  Veritas calls theirs  DMP: Dynamic Multi
Pathing.  What's cool is, not only do you eliminate your single point of
failure. but also DMP round-robins requests between the two paths when both are
active, increasing your throughput.

LVM should do this, imho!

@ 2000-08-07 14:06 Franken Klaus
From: Franken Klaus @ 2000-08-07 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)