linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] what will happen with lvconvert merge after reboot?
@ 2020-08-09 23:19 Tomas Dalebjörk
From: Tomas Dalebjörk @ 2020-08-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

hi

If a user starts a
# lvconvert --merge -b snaplv

and reboots the server before the convert/merge has completed

will the merge/converting process continue after reboot?
or will the volume be stale?

if the merge/convert is restarted, can it resume where it was?

regards Tomas

Sent from my iPhone

* [linux-lvm] how often does lvm team update source code in ftp site
@ 2020-08-10  9:36 ` heming.zhao
From: heming.zhao @ 2020-08-10  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hello,

I have a question about the release freq.
The lvm2 2.03.10 tag had been created on yesterday
But in ftp site: ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/releases/
The latest lvm2 version is 2.03.05.

How often does lvm2 team update for this site?
Or are there some reasons/rules for not putting latest packages in this site?

Thanks,
heming

* Re: [linux-lvm] how often does lvm team update source code in ftp site
@ 2020-08-10 10:22   ` Marian Csontos
       [not found]     ` <20200810115232.GB1049@redhat.com>
From: Marian Csontos @ 2020-08-10 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development; +Cc: overseers, heming.zhao

On 8/10/20 11:36 AM, heming.zhao@suse.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about the release freq.
> The lvm2 2.03.10 tag had been created on yesterday
> But in ftp site: ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/releases > The latest lvm2 version is 2.03.05.

Hi, seems something went wrong with syncing sourceware.org and
sources.redhat.com. (Or am I doing someting wrong, overseers?)

You can look at ftp://sourceware.org/pub/lvm2/ and get the tarballs there.

-- Martian

> How often does lvm2 team update for this site?
> Or are there some reasons/rules for not putting latest packages in this site?
>
> Thanks,
> heming

* Re: [linux-lvm] what will happen with lvconvert merge after reboot?
@ 2020-08-10 15:24 ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2020-08-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Tomas Dalebjörk

Dne 10. 08. 20 v 1:19 Tomas Dalebj�rk napsal(a):
> hi
>
> If a user starts a
> # lvconvert --merge -b snaplv
>
> and reboots the server before the convert/merge has completed
>
> will the merge/converting process continue after reboot?
> or will the volume be stale?
>
> if the merge/convert is restarted, can it resume where it was?

Hi

Merge 'starts' when origin&snap device are unused.
Once snapshot merge start - it cannot be reverted.

If there is any sort of 'failure' (i.e. poweroff) - merging continue
after reboot and should safely finish.

Note - once the merge starts - you can already use 'merged' LV since merging
is running in the background (blocks are copied and you can 'monitor' its
status with  'lvs' command).

If you would be using 'thin' snapshot - merge is an instant operation.

Regards

Zdenek

@ 2020-08-10 15:26       ` heming.zhao
From: heming.zhao @ 2020-08-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marian Csontos, LVM general discussion and development

Hello Marian & Frank,

Thank you for your information.

I got the (wrong) URL from: https://www.sourceware.org/lvm2/
In the section *Releases*.
It looks this webpage should be updated with: ftp://sourceware.org/pub/lvm2/

Thanks,

@ 2020-08-10 15:44         ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-08-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, LVM general discussion and development,
	Marian Csontos, heming.zhao

Hi -

> Thank you for your information.
> I got the (wrong) URL from: https://www.sourceware.org/lvm2/
> In the section *Releases*.
> It looks this webpage should be updated with: ftp://sourceware.org/pub/lvm2/

I tried a couple of ways to edit the lvm2 web pages to fix these
links, but I'm foiled by git-hook scripts and stuff, so I'll leave it
to AGK etc.

- FChE