linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* RE: [linux-lvm] Bonehead problem
@ 1999-03-11 15:38 Verloove, Olivier
From: Verloove, Olivier @ 1999-03-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

In fact, I didn't have LVM 0.5 compiled on this system.
The problem was due to the device file /dev/lvm missing.

And thanks for the md[4-15] remark. I'm on RH5.2 and it was the cause of
vgscan hanging the system (see other message).

Olivier

@ 1999-03-11 15:27 Verloove, Olivier
From: Verloove, Olivier @ 1999-03-11 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Yes... indeed, creating the device file solved the problem.

Now, I ran vgscan and it hanged the system :-(
Here's what I found in the syslog:

Mar 11 16:07:17 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module char-major-109
Mar 11 16:07:20 cobalt kernel: LVM version 0.6  by Heinz Mauelshagen
(26/02/199
9)
Mar 11 16:07:20 cobalt kernel: lvm -- Module successfully initialized
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt kernel: cdrom: open failed.
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module block-major-22
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt last message repeated 5 times
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module block-major-33
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt last message repeated 5 times
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module block-major-34
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt last message repeated 5 times
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt kernel: VFS: grow_buffers: size = 16
Mar 11 16:07:25 cobalt last message repeated 2613 times
Mar 11 16:07:25 cobalt kernel: Kernel panic: Free list corrupted Mar 11
16:07:17 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module char-major-109
Mar 11 16:07:20 cobalt kernel: LVM version 0.6  by Heinz Mauelshagen
(26/02/199
9)
Mar 11 16:07:20 cobalt kernel: lvm -- Module successfully initialized
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt kernel: cdrom: open failed.
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module block-major-22
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt last message repeated 5 times
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module block-major-33
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt last message repeated 5 times
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt modprobe: can't locate module block-major-34
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt last message repeated 5 times
Mar 11 16:07:24 cobalt kernel: VFS: grow_buffers: size = 16
Mar 11 16:07:25 cobalt last message repeated 2613 times
Mar 11 16:07:25 cobalt kernel: Kernel panic: Free list corrupted

I had a look in major.h and 22, 33, 34 corresponds to IDE1_MAJOR, IDE2_MAJOR
and IDE3_MAJOR ?

Any idea.

To summarize, this is a new install (no VG created) of Linux 2.2.2 (without
devfs) + LVM 0.6.
I have MD compiled in the kernel ... but no MD device created.

Thanks.

Olivier

@ 1999-03-11 15:09 Steve_J_Brueggeman
From: Steve_J_Brueggeman @ 1999-03-11 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

[...]

"Verloove, Olivier" <olivier_verloove@merck.com> on 03/11/99 07:40:42 AM

To:   linux-lvm@msede.com
cc:    (bcc: Steve J Brueggeman)
Subject:  RE: [linux-lvm] Bonehead problem

I have the same problem (Linux 2.2.2 + LVM 0.6).
With or without lvm module loaded, I get:
     vgscan -- invalid i/o protocol version

Is there another module which should be loaded at the same time ?
lsmod gives me:
     lvm  26960     0  (unused)

Thanks.
Olivier Verloove

@ 1999-03-11 15:08 Steve_J_Brueggeman
From: Steve_J_Brueggeman @ 1999-03-11 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

[...]

To:   linux-lvm@msede.com
cc:    (bcc: Steve J Brueggeman)

@ 1999-03-11 14:56 ` Klaus Strebel
From: Klaus Strebel @ 1999-03-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Verloove, Olivier; +Cc: linux-lvm

Hi Olivier,

@ 1999-03-11 13:40 Verloove, Olivier
From: Verloove, Olivier @ 1999-03-11 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

@ 1999-03-11  0:25 ` ishamael
From: ishamael @ 1999-03-11  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Shawn Leas wrote:
>When I upgraded to v0.6 from v0.5alpha, I end up having
>to keep the old v0.5 version of vgscan around.
>
>Reason? Well, this is WEIRD... v0.6 vgscan always errs out
>with 96, or, invalid IO/protocol version. Then, I use v0.5
>vgscan, and the same happens. Then, I use v0.6 vgscan again,
>and IT WORKED!
>
>What the hell is going on?

Did you build lvm as a module? _insmod lvm_ worked for me, after several hours
of profound confusion.

-michael
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous   http://www.erroneous.demon.co.uk/
"It's ok to be bitter and twisted,
 Provided you don't mind leaving a nasty taste in your own mouth."

* [linux-lvm] Bonehead problem
@ 1999-03-10 23:44 Shawn Leas
From: Shawn Leas @ 1999-03-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

When I upgraded to v0.6 from v0.5alpha, I end up having
to keep the old v0.5 version of vgscan around.

Reason? Well, this is WEIRD... v0.6 vgscan always errs out
with 96, or, invalid IO/protocol version. Then, I use v0.5
vgscan, and the same happens. Then, I use v0.6 vgscan again,
and IT WORKED!

What the hell is going on?

-- Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
   Day 2240 for the poor and the middle class.
   Day 2259 for the rich and the dead.
   682 days remaining in the Raw Deal.