linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] ERROR -6 activating volume group
@ 1999-07-13 11:28 Adrien Farkas
       [not found] ` <199907131455.AA30837@mailgate1b.telekom.de>
From: Adrien Farkas @ 1999-07-13 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi,

I'v got the following problem: I've created volume group, logical volume, everything ran okay. vgscan and vgschange both ran with no problems. Then I recompiled the kernel (2.2.10-ac) with LVM included and now the situation is:

vgscan runs okay, gives

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found volume group "vg1"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created

but vgchange -a y gives

vgchange -- ERROR -6 activating volume group "vg1"

Anyone can guess what's wrong and how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance
--
                                             freddy

----==-- _                      Adrien "freddy" Farkas
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __       freddy@sk.oracle.com
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  We all know Linux is great... It
-=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\  does infinite loops in 5 seconds

* Re: [linux-lvm] ERROR -6 activating volume group
       [not found] ` <199907131455.AA30837@mailgate1b.telekom.de>
@ 1999-07-13 15:05   ` Adrien Farkas
From: Adrien Farkas @ 1999-07-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Mauelshagen; +Cc: linux-lvm

Heinz Mauelshagen (mauelsha@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de) wrote :

> vgscan -d
> vgchange -day
> vgdisplay -Dv
> ls -l /dev/lvm /etc/lvmt* /dev/vg1

here it is (it the attachments). just to note, vgchange -day gave

Trying to vfree() bad address (0804f030)
vgchange -- ERROR -6 activating volume group "vg1"

in addition to the attachment info.
--

@ 1999-07-13 15:23 ` Adrien Farkas
From: Adrien Farkas @ 1999-07-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve_J_Brueggeman; +Cc: linux-lvm

Steve_J_Brueggeman@notes.seagate.com (Steve_J_Brueggeman@notes.seagate.com) wrote :

> It looks like you may have compiled LVM as a module, but do not have it
> loaded, or else, your group char device file /dev/vg00/group has
> not been created correctly.

yes, it's compiled as a module, that's right. one more (huh) thing to mention, usage count for LVM modules is _decreased_ after _each_ vgchange, so it's -6 right now.

> I'd strongly suspect that you do not have your module loaded, as this is
> the most common problem.

I do, check ^^^

> If you want your lvm.o module loaded automatically by kerneld, add the
> following lines to your /etc/conf.modules file
> alias block-major-58 lvm
> alias char-major-109 lvm

that's done, that's okay with me.

--

@ 1999-07-13 15:11 Steve_J_Brueggeman
From: Steve_J_Brueggeman @ 1999-07-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freddy; +Cc: linux-lvm

Hmmmm,
There's not too many paths in the code that return this error string.  This
looks like it's the value of errno, after a failed ioctl() call on
/dev/vg01/group.

It looks like it can open this file just fine, but fails sending the
ioctl() to it, with
#define ENXIO            6      /* No such device or address */

It looks like you may have compiled LVM as a module, but do not have it
loaded, or else, your group char device file /dev/vg00/group has
not been created correctly.

I'd strongly suspect that you do not have your module loaded, as this is
the most common problem.
If you want your lvm.o module loaded automatically by kerneld, add the
following lines to your /etc/conf.modules file
alias block-major-58 lvm
alias char-major-109 lvm

The other possibility is you do not have correct device files in /dev/vg01.
  Check their major/minor numbers.

Steve Brueggeman.

Adrien Farkas <freddy@redneck.sk.oracle.com> on 07/13/99 06:28:02 AM

Please respond to freddy@oracle.sk