linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Re: converting a filesystem to a logic volume
@ 2000-04-12 19:14 Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2000-04-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Is it needed to move the filesystem in question to do this?

Whould not the following work:
* Create the VG that should contain the filesystem
  This must be created on some other device. If the disk in question is
  full, it's possible to
   * shrink the filesystem
   * shrink the partition
   * create a new partition after the one with the filesystem
  and use the new partition for the VG.
* Add the device with the filesystem as a new PV in the existing VG.
  The LV can cover the PV completely, and the filesystem does not have
  to be shrinked or moved

This will only work assuming that LVM does not have to store any
metadata on every PV. Does it?

Moving filesystems should be avoided if possible.

--
Ragnar Kj�rstad

* Re: [linux-lvm] Re: converting a filesystem to a logic volume
@ 2000-04-12 22:35 ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2000-04-12 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 09:14:53PM +0200, Ragnar Kj�rstad wrote:

> This will only work assuming that LVM does not have to store any
> metadata on every PV. Does it?

AFAIK it does..