linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] lvm-viewer/lvm-manager 0.2
@ 2000-04-22 14:02 bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2000-04-22 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi everybody,

I just released lvm-viewer 0.2. I'm about to rename it to lvm-manager or
perhaps lvmm.

It is currently very buggy and has some features which can be called
'non-obvious' at best. If you don't press any of the buttons, or drag things
around, it is very useful as an lvm-viewer :-)

What I really want right now is feedback on the featureset and the GUI -
most of the things I want to implement are currently there, this is your
last chance to influence where I am heading :-)

You can find it at http://ds9a.nl/lvm-viewer

Regards,

bert hubert.

--
                       |              http://www.rent-a-nerd.nl
                       |                     - U N I X -
                       |          Inspice et cautus eris - D11T'95

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvm-viewer/lvm-manager 0.2
@ 2000-04-23  9:09 ` Paul Jakma
From: Paul Jakma @ 2000-04-23  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bert hubert; +Cc: linux-lvm

what's the potential for destroying with it? ie when you say bugs, do
you feel they are mostly cosmetic, with the underlying interface to
LVM being pretty stable? or??

(i'd hate to run this and find that an LV was damaged/deleted.)

regards,

Paul Jakma.

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, bert hubert wrote:

  Hi everybody,

  I just released lvm-viewer 0.2. I'm about to rename it to lvm-manager or
  perhaps lvmm.

  It is currently very buggy and has some features which can be called
  'non-obvious' at best. If you don't press any of the buttons, or drag things
  around, it is very useful as an lvm-viewer :-)

  What I really want right now is feedback on the featureset and the GUI -
  most of the things I want to implement are currently there, this is your
  last chance to influence where I am heading :-)

  You can find it at http://ds9a.nl/lvm-viewer

  Regards,

  bert hubert.

--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvm-viewer/lvm-manager 0.2
@ 2000-04-24 21:32   ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2000-04-24 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 10:09:28AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> what's the potential for destroying with it? ie when you say bugs, do
> you feel they are mostly cosmetic, with the underlying interface to
> LVM being pretty stable? or??
>
> (i'd hate to run this and find that an LV was damaged/deleted.)

Everything is done via the lvm tools. However, I sometimes pass -f or even
-f -f because the program assumes that it has already asked the user
permission.

It has not damaged any data here, but I do not want to promise that it
doesn't do any bad things.

Regards,

bert hubert

--

@ 2000-04-24 23:27     ` Paul Jakma
From: Paul Jakma @ 2000-04-24 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bert hubert; +Cc: linux-lvm

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, bert hubert wrote:

  Everything is done via the lvm tools. However, I sometimes pass -f or even
  -f -f because the program assumes that it has already asked the user
  permission.

perhaps you could build something (a mode??) into your app to do
something like poping up a window saying, eg:

'about to run "lvremove -f ... ... "
	do you agree?'

not nice for newbies, but i'd feel more comfortable. :)

  It has not damaged any data here, but I do not want to promise that it
  doesn't do any bad things.

of course.. i'll try it out on my laptop during the week before
running it on any servers. :)

  Regards,

  bert hubert

groetjes,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt
Fortune:
One good suit is worth a thousand resumes.

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvm-viewer/lvm-manager 0.2
@ 2000-04-25  0:16       ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2000-04-25  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Jakma; +Cc: linux-lvm

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 12:27:58AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:

>   Everything is done via the lvm tools. However, I sometimes pass -f or even
>   -f -f because the program assumes that it has already asked the user
>   permission.
>
> perhaps you could build something (a mode??) into your app to do
> something like poping up a window saying, eg:

Yeah - I am currently revamping the source so that all external calls get
routed through doexec(), which will have a flag 'modifies data', that can
cause doexec() to popup a window.

The problem is that the program does not always deal well with failures. I
have yet to implement reverse-drag-and-drop, in case the drop failed.

>   It has not damaged any data here, but I do not want to promise that it
>   doesn't do any bad things.
>
> of course.. i'll try it out on my laptop during the week before
> running it on any servers. :)

Would be a good idea :-)

Regards,

bert hubert.