linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* RE: [linux-lvm] EMC Storage + LVM + XFS
@ 2001-05-25 15:12 Christian, Chip
From: Christian, Chip @ 2001-05-25 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-lvm@sistina.com'

To get the system to recognize a new disk without reloading the driver,
echo "scsi-add-single-device $controller $host $target $lun" > /proc/scsi/scsi

From: Heinz J. Mauelshagen @ 2001-05-28 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 06:16:06PM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> That is my initial assumption, but I only want to make sure that vgscan
> _will_ in fact work they way it seems it should and that the private
> region of all volumes or groups will be able to be read and recovered.

Yes, it will (unless there's JAB ;-)

One of the major purposes of vgscan is to take care of changed io access
pathes to devices.

In case you add devices online using the scsi proc interface, you can use
them at their current access path and even though that likely will change after
a reboot (or reload of the driver) vgscan can catch up with the new
io configuration at startup before VG activation.

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

> --
> Austin Gonyou
> Systems Architect, CCNA
> Coremetrics, Inc.
> Phone: 512-796-9023
> email: austin@coremetrics.com
>
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Ragnar Kj�rstad wrote:

> > > Oh, of course the Symmetrix allows hot plugging of disks and online
> > > mapping of hypers to one or more channels via a Bin upgrade or the
> > > SDR. But at the moment I do not know any way to make Linux recognise
> > > the additional disks without reloading (rebooting) the driver. But
> > > even if there's a way to online detect new disks -- if a vgscan is
> > > necessary to tell the Linux LVM about where its VGs have gone it isn't
> > > a very smart solution because it often requires application down time.
> >
> > I believe if you write things to /proc/scsi/scsi to make linux detect
> > new devices, they will be added _after_ the existing ones. The order
> > will not be messed up until next reboot, and then vgscan will take care
> > of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen@Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446

* Re: [linux-lvm] EMC Storage + LVM + XFS
@ 2001-05-25 23:16           ` Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2001-05-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

@ 2001-05-25 23:14         ` Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2001-05-25 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Right, and that's where I'm going. I can give app down time, but not just
because, oops, we for got this or that. Has to be methodically planned. As
long as all variables are known(as much as can be), then we can plan
properly.

--

@ 2001-05-25 17:55         ` Ragnar Kjørstad
From: Ragnar Kjørstad @ 2001-05-25 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 05:09:08PM +0200, Stephan Austermuehle wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:47:34AM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> > I don't think I'm clear on your statement. As far as I know, which is a
> > lot about EMC, you can definitely plug disks online. Having Linux see
> > them? Not necessarily so, but I believe the polling interval for the Fibre
> > driver will take care of that.
>
> Oh, of course the Symmetrix allows hot plugging of disks and online
> mapping of hypers to one or more channels via a Bin upgrade or the
> SDR. But at the moment I do not know any way to make Linux recognise
> the additional disks without reloading (rebooting) the driver. But
> even if there's a way to online detect new disks -- if a vgscan is
> necessary to tell the Linux LVM about where its VGs have gone it isn't
> a very smart solution because it often requires application down time.

I believe if you write things to /proc/scsi/scsi to make linux detect
new devices, they will be added _after_ the existing ones. The order
will not be messed up until next reboot, and then vgscan will take care
of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

--
Ragnar Kj�rstad
Big Storage

* Re: [linux-lvm] EMC Storage + LVM + XFS
@ 2001-05-25 15:09       ` Stephan Austermuehle
From: Stephan Austermuehle @ 2001-05-25 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

@ 2001-05-25 14:47     ` Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2001-05-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

@ 2001-05-25 14:46 ` Austin Gonyou
From: Austin Gonyou @ 2001-05-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-lvm@sistina.com'

Yeah. I thought of all those things already, though thanks for the advice.
The DevFS idea is one I suppose I could try, but don't know if that's a
good idea. Thanks for your help!

--

@ 2001-05-25 13:30 Christian, Chip

@ 2001-05-25  6:58   ` Stephan Austermuehle