linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Snapshot documentation
@ 2000-03-07 23:46 Jay Weber
From: Jay Weber @ 2000-03-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi,

Been playing with snapshots and am noticing I can create a snapshot with
less PE's than my source LV that I'm snapshotting, with the small side
effect of:

lvcreate -- WARNING: all snapshots will be disabled if more than 12 MB are
changed

Is the above message implying that if I change more than 12MB of data on
my source LV that the snapshot is then defunct/useless?  Does that include
deletes, etc?

Mainly a pointer to any information or documentation regarding how this
all works would be well appreciated.  I'm noticing LVM has some HP history
involved, so I'll go see if they have relevant data in their HPUX docs.

Maybe this is included in the recent EN-HOWTO I noticed mention of as
well?

* Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshot documentation
@ 2000-03-08  3:00 ` Michael Marxmeier
From: Michael Marxmeier @ 2000-03-08  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Weber; +Cc: linux-lvm

Jay Weber wrote:
> Been playing with snapshots and am noticing I can create a snapshot with
> less PE's than my source LV that I'm snapshotting, with the small side
> effect of:
>
> lvcreate -- WARNING: all snapshots will be disabled if more than 12 MB are
> changed

For now snapshots use a COW model at the block level. Each modified
block gets saved (once) to the snapshot area. If the space dedicated
to the snapshot area is exhausted the snapshot is discarded (and the
the saved blocks are simply discarded). Otherwise the fs would become
inconsistent.

When/if LVM once has persistent snapshots this might need to change.

> Is the above message implying that if I change more than 12MB of data on
> my source LV that the snapshot is then defunct/useless?  Does that include
> deletes, etc?

Yes. Though deletes should only affect the inode and lists of indirect
blocks (if any) so deleting a 12MB files does not necessarily result
in 12MB of changes.

Hope this helps
Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike@msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9

* Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshot documentation
@ 2000-03-08  8:12 Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 2000-03-08  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Enabling you to create snapshots with less space than that of the
Original Logical Volume is an option to save space in case you have
data which doesn't change a lot.

The only chance to deal with for eg. a filesystem which changes rapidly
and in the extrem case totally is to create equal sized snapshots.

Heinz

> Hi,
>
> Been playing with snapshots and am noticing I can create a snapshot with
> less PE's than my source LV that I'm snapshotting, with the small side
> effect of:
>
> lvcreate -- WARNING: all snapshots will be disabled if more than 12 MB are
> changed
>
> Is the above message implying that if I change more than 12MB of data on
> my source LV that the snapshot is then defunct/useless?  Does that include
> deletes, etc?
>
> Mainly a pointer to any information or documentation regarding how this
> all works would be well appreciated.  I'm noticing LVM has some HP history
> involved, so I'll go see if they have relevant data in their HPUX docs.
>
> Maybe this is included in the recent EN-HOWTO I noticed mention of as
> well?

Systemmanagement CS-TS                           T-Nova
                                                 Entwicklungszentrum Darmstadt
Heinz Mauelshagen                                Otto-Roehm-Strasse 71c
Senior Systems Engineer                          Postfach 10 05 41
                                                 64205 Darmstadt
mge@EZ-Darmstadt.Telekom.de                      Germany
                                                 +49 6151 886-425
                                                          FAX-386