linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] How do I remove a physical volume
@ 2000-06-02 18:58 PATTERSON,ANDREW (HP-Loveland,ex2)
From: PATTERSON,ANDREW (HP-Loveland,ex2) @ 2000-06-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-lvm@msede.com'

I am doing some development with liblvm and need the capability to remove a
physical volume (so I can then recreate it later as part of testing).  There
doesn't seem be a "pvremove" command or equivalent library call, so I have
resorted to the following brute
force method:

  1. Remove the physical volume from a the volume group
  2. Deactivate the volume
  3. Write arbitrary data to the partition to trash the private volume
record

Is it safe to do this?  Is there a better way?  Should there be a pvremove
command?

Thanks,

Andrew Patterson
Hewlett-Packard

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-06-02 18:58 UTC | newest]