linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* Re: [linux-lvm] Re: Configuring boot partition with LVM (fwd)
@ 2000-02-09 12:40 Peter.Wuestefeld
From: Peter.Wuestefeld @ 2000-02-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm, jum

--
Jens-Uwe Mager           <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>

True. And the latter works really well on standalone systems and in an SP.

BTW:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jfs/index.html

IBM JOINS EFFORTS TO DEVELOP ENTERPRISE FILE SYSTEM FOR LINUX

At LinuxWorld today, IBM announced the contribution of technology
and talent to help make Linux a high-performance operating system
in e-business environments.

Part of a line up of new IBM initiatives, the open-source contribution
is designed to accelerate development of a journaling file system for
Linux capable of protecting the integrity of corporate data during power
outages and other system failures.
This capability is particularly important in e-business environments,
where Web sites can receive millions of hits a day and Web application
servers are caching massive amounts of data.

IBM will assign a dedicated team of software engineers to work with the
open source community in developing an enterprise-level journaling file
system for Linux.  Journaling enhances a file system's ability to track
transactions and log operations, and can retrieve file data quickly and
intact if a system fails or gets shut down prematurely.

IBM's journaled file system technology, currently used in IBM enterprise
servers,is designed for high-throughput server environments, key to
running
intranet and other high-performance e-business file servers.
The source code is now available for download from the Open Source and
Linux zones in the IBM developerWorks* website (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks).

Mit freundlichem Gruss/Best Regards

Peter Wuestefeld
IBM Certified System Administrator AIX 4.3
IBM Certified Support Professional AIX 4.3
==================================
res nova Unternehmensberatung GmbH
                   ...aktiv in AIX
MAIL:  Ruppmannstrasse 41
       D-70565 Stuttgart, Germany
FON:   +49 711 78888 0
FAX:   +49 711 78888 99
WWW:   http://www.resnova.de
SMTP: mailto: Peter.Wuestefeld@resnova.de

There are three kinds of people: Those who can count & those who can't.

* Re: [linux-lvm] Re: Configuring boot partition with LVM (fwd)
@ 2000-02-09 13:00 ` Daniel Whicker
From: Daniel Whicker @ 2000-02-09 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

>At least the IBM people with the AIX LVM are able to make that work.
>The
>only thing that they were not able for a long time is to make system
>dumps work in such a configuration. But I believe that even that works
>under AIX 4.3.x now.

Actually, with AIX, they reserve at least one PP (PE) at the very beigining
of each disk, which gives you at least a 4 meg contiguous area in which to
put the kernel.  The bosboot copies the kernel into this area.  Really not
to different that creating a /boot or a /stand.
									-Daniel
		Daniel Whicker  (heimdall@mail.org)

* [linux-lvm] Re: Configuring boot partition with LVM (fwd)
@ 2000-02-09  1:31 Michael Marxmeier
From: Michael Marxmeier @ 2000-02-09  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm