linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] RAID-less parity?
@ 2020-07-13 14:34 Janne Heß
From: Janne Heß @ 2020-07-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hello everyone,

I'm currently testing dm-integrity and its use with LVM.
For RAID 1,5,6 LVM should just be able to recover the RAID when integrity fails (and the block device returns a read error).
However some of my systems are single-disk systems. For those, RAIDs are not possible so I was thinking if LVM has some support for single-PV setups with parity on the same PV.
While this is probably a niche feature right now, I can see other projects like Stratis benefit from the integrity checks provided by dm-integrity (and dm-crypt in the future) to detect (and thanks to parity fix) bit rots.
So is there any way to get a parity setup with the current state of LVM? I was thinking of a RAID-4 with one PV but the current tooling (more specifically lvcreate) doesn't let me do that.

Thanks and regards
Janne