linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>,
	Oleksandr Panchuk <panolex@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] Prepend LV
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 16:52:10 +0200	[thread overview]

Dne 3.9.2018 v 11:04 Oleksandr Panchuk napsal(a):
> Hello, All
>
> I have not found any documentation about how to prepend LV with some free space
> .
> Possible use case - we have LV with filesystem and data on it. But to migrate
> this LV to KVM virtual machine we need to craft partition inside this LV with
> already existing data.
>
> I know it is possible to create new LV and copy data here, but it could be
> time consuming for big LVs.
>
> So, Is there any way to prepend LV with some free space ?

Hi

Lvm2 does NOT support prepend ATM - as there was no big need for such operation.

On the other hand - experienced user can  with really low 'math-skill'
requirements  for a manual  extension on the 'ASCII VG metadata' file in 'vi'
editor -  the format is quite easy to follow.

I assume there is already some RFE to provide such support - in terms of
existing limitation that you need to always prepend whole 'extent'  (so i.e.
with 4MiB  extent size - you need to prepend at least 4MiB)

Regards

Zdenek