linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Which lvm2 code branches are important?
@ 2019-07-10  6:42 Gang He
From: Gang He @ 2019-07-10  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Hello List,

After you clone the code from git://sourceware.org/git/lvm2.git, you can find lots of remote code branches.
But which code branches are important for the third party users/ developer? That means we should monitor these code branches.
For example,
Which code branches are main (or long-active) code branches?
Which code branches are used for which lvm2 products (big versions)?
What are the main differences between different lvm2 products? E.g. some features are added/removed.

Thanks a lot.
Gang

* Re: [linux-lvm] Which lvm2 code branches are important?
@ 2019-07-10 12:47 ` Marian Csontos
From: Marian Csontos @ 2019-07-10 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Gang He

On 7/10/19 8:42 AM, Gang He wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> After you clone the code from git://sourceware.org/git/lvm2.git, you can find lots of remote code branches.
> But which code branches are important for the third party users/ developer? That means we should monitor these code branches.
> For example,
> Which code branches are main (or long-active) code branches?
> Which code branches are used for which lvm2 products (big versions)?

master - 2.03 branch, new features land here,
stable-2.02 - legacy 2.02 branch, bug fixes mostly.

> What are the main differences between different lvm2 products? E.g. some features are added/removed.

2.03 vs 2.03:

- dropped lvmetad and clvmd,
- added handling of writecache and VDO targets.

@ 2019-07-11  2:25   ` Gang He
From: Gang He @ 2019-07-11  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Hello Marian,

Thank for your reply.
About the detailed changes for V2.03, where do we can find the related documents from the external link?

Thanks
Gang

@ 2019-07-24 13:43     ` Marian Csontos
From: Marian Csontos @ 2019-07-24 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Gang He

On 7/11/19 4:25 AM, Gang He wrote:
> Hello Marian,
>
> Thank for your reply.
> About the detailed changes for V2.03, where do we can find the related documents from the external link?

If by that you mean WHATS_NEW{,_DM} files, these were overwritten every
time by latest 2.02 or 2.03 release.

I have fixed that now, and there are now both files for 2.02 and 2.03
available on sourceware.org:

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/WHATS_NEW-2.02
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/WHATS_NEW_DM-2.02

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/WHATS_NEW-2.03
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/WHATS_NEW_DM-2.03

WHATS_NEW is now a link to the newest branch (2.03 ATM):

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/WHATS_NEW
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2/WHATS_NEW_DM

-- Marian