linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] vgscan in /sbin/init.d/boot ?
@ 1999-11-10  9:05 Stephan Hendl
From: Stephan Hendl @ 1999-11-10  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi all,

does anybody know where I have to put the lines

vgscan
vgchange -ya

in the boot script? The docs don't tell something about the place. I use SuSE-Linux.

Thanks
Stephan

--
LDS Brandenburg
Dr. Stephan Hendl

* Re: [linux-lvm] vgscan in /sbin/init.d/boot ?
@ 1999-11-13  0:55 ` Harald Milz
From: Harald Milz @ 1999-11-13  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Franken wrote:
> The best place should be '/etc/rc.d/boot.local' (if / and /usr isn't in LVM)
> But not tested with SuSE-Linux.

Best would actually be boot itself, but only if the fsck part would be
devided into

- fsck the root fs
- remount / rw
- run vgscan and vgchange -ay
- fsck the rest (in serial - fsck at this time is too dumb to find out
  which physical disks a LV resides on, and will run all of them in
  parallel :-( )

or wait for SuSE 6.3 :-)

I've not tried this yet - no time - but seems pretty straightforward.

--
A witty saying proves nothing, but saying something pointless gets
people's attention.

* RE: [linux-lvm] vgscan in /sbin/init.d/boot ?
@ 1999-11-10 14:44 Franken Klaus
From: Franken Klaus @ 1999-11-10 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
> does anybody know where I have to put the lines
>
> vgscan
> vgchange -ya
>
> in the boot script? The docs don't tell something about the
> place. I use SuSE-Linux.

The best place should be '/etc/rc.d/boot.local' (if / and /usr isn't in LVM)
But not tested with SuSE-Linux.

Klaus.Franken@fth2.siemens.de    +49 911 978 3707
Siemens Business Services IP 23F