linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: pic anomalies
       [not found] <201912271608.xBRG84Jr128687@tahoe.cs.Dartmouth.EDU>
@ 2019-12-27 18:31 ` Federico Lucifredi
From: Federico Lucifredi @ 2019-12-27 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: groff

Hello Doug,
  for (1), I am CCing Michael Kerrisk — and the procedure to report issues on the man pages is tracked here https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/reporting_bugs.html (In brief: email mtk.manpages@gmail.com and CC linux-man@vger.kernel.org).

   Best -Federico

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Doug McIlroy <doug@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> The description of sprintf in the man page pic(1) does not
> reveal that only a few format codes are permitted.
>
> Eric Raymond's "Making Pictures With GNU PIC" says only
> %,%e,%f,%g are  permitted. But what does a bare % mean?
>
> In fact pic rejects a bare %. However it does accept
> %%, which is supposed to print a single %. Pic,
> however prints %%.
>
> So I believe we have
> 1. An incompleteness in pic(1)
> 2. An error in "Making Pictures With GNU PIC"
> 3. An error in pic itself
>
> Doug

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-12-27 18:31 UTC | newest]