linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* ip.7 update on treatment of reserved addresses?
@ 2023-04-12 23:06 Seth David Schoen
From: Seth David Schoen @ 2023-04-12 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man

Hi,

I've submitted a patch a couple of times that adds more detailed
information in ip.7 about how the Linux kernel treats reserved IPv4
addresses.  (There is some discussion already there, but it's not
entirely comprehensive and up-to-date with respect to the current
behavior.)  I'm paying attention to this because I've been actively
involved in efforts to get the kernel to treat these addresses more
permissively than historical standards suggest -- which it indeed
does.

I haven't gotten any feedback on my patch on the occasions when I've
submitted it, so I thought I'd ask directly whether anyone is
interested in reviewing it or discussing it, or whether there would
be any interest in expanding the documentation on this point under any
circumstances.

Thanks!

(specifically, Linux now permits you to assign the lowest, or "network",
address on a segment as a unicast address; it has for several years
permitted you to assign addresses from within 0/8; it has for many
years permitted you to assign addresses from within 240/4; and all of
these are also accepted as valid unicast destinations -- none of which
users would assume just from reading RFCs!)

* Re: ip.7 update on treatment of reserved addresses?
@ 2023-04-13  0:37 ` Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2023-04-13  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth David Schoen; +Cc: linux-man