linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* user_namespaces(7): obsolete comment about system time
@ 2020-05-31 15:26 Léo Stefanesco
From: Léo Stefanesco @ 2020-05-31 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages; +Cc: linux-man

Hi,

In the man7.org version of the man page for user_namespaces(7), it reads:

there are many privileged operations that affect resources that are
not associated with any
namespace type, for example, changing the system time (governed by CAP_SYS_TIME)

which is not consistent with time_namespaces(7).

Cheers,
Léo

* Re: user_namespaces(7): obsolete comment about system time
@ 2020-06-09  8:08 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2020-06-09  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Stefanesco; +Cc: mtk.manpages, linux-man

Hello Léo

On 5/31/20 5:26 PM, Léo Stefanesco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the man7.org version of the man page for user_namespaces(7), it reads:
>
>    there are many privileged operations that affect
>    resources that are not associated with any namespace type,
>    for example, changing the system time
>    (governed by CAP_SYS_TIME)
>
> which is not consistent with time_namespaces(7).

In fact, strictly peaking the text still is correct, even after
the arrival of time namespaces.

Time namespaces virtualize only the boot-time and monotonic clocks,
not the "real time" (i.e., calendar time), which is the time
referred in the passage you quote.

That said, the text is perhaps now a little misleading, and
a little clarification would help. I changed the text to:

    there are many privileged operations that affect
    resources are not associated with any namespace type,
    for example, changing the system **(i.e., calendar)** time
    (governed by CAP_SYS_TIME)

Thanks for your report!

Michael

--