* libdvbv5 licencing
@ 2016-03-26  6:13 Russel Winder
From: Russel Winder @ 2016-03-26  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DVB_Linux_Media

I hadn't noticed previously, but it has been brought to my attention
that libdvbv5 is licenced as GPLv2. This makes it impossible
(effectively) for any non-GPL code to make use of libdvbv5. This seems
to undermine the whole point of libdvbv5.

In particular, I wanted to rip out all the Linux API based code from
the GStreamer DVB plugins and replace it with use of libdvbv5. However
because of the licencing (GStreamer is LGPL and must only use LGPL or
more liberal licenced code), this is going to be impossible.

Instead of ripping out the current code (which is DVBv3) and using
libdvbv5, it looks like I will be forced to recreate libdvbv5 but as
LGPL code.

Is there any chance of relicencing libdvbv5 as LGPL code so that others
may use it?

--
Russel.

* Re: libdvbv5 licencing
@ 2016-04-12 14:19 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2016-04-12 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russel Winder; +Cc: DVB_Linux_Media

Hi Russel,

Em Sat, 26 Mar 2016 06:13:08 +0000
Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> escreveu:

> I hadn't noticed previously, but it has been brought to my attention
> that libdvbv5 is licenced as GPLv2. This makes it impossible
> (effectively) for any non-GPL code to make use of libdvbv5. This seems
> to undermine the whole point of libdvbv5.
>
> In particular, I wanted to rip out all the Linux API based code from
> the GStreamer DVB plugins and replace it with use of libdvbv5. However
> because of the licencing (GStreamer is LGPL and must only use LGPL or
> more liberal licenced code), this is going to be impossible.
>
> Instead of ripping out the current code (which is DVBv3) and using
> libdvbv5, it looks like I will be forced to recreate libdvbv5 but as
> LGPL code.
>
> Is there any chance of relicencing libdvbv5 as LGPL code so that others
> may use it?

Yes. We had some discussions in the past to re-license it to LGPL,
if this is going to be used by some other OSS project that would
require that. Most of the code was written by me, and, in the past
the other developers that worked on that also agreed on re-licensing
as LGPL.

So, basically, if gstreamer is willing to use libdvbv5, we'll
relicense it to LGPL.

Regards,
Mauro

* Re: libdvbv5 licencing
@ 2016-04-13 15:40   ` Russel Winder
From: Russel Winder @ 2016-04-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: DVB_Linux_Media, Sebastian Dröge

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 11:19 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
[…]

> Yes. We had some discussions in the past to re-license it to LGPL,
> if this is going to be used by some other OSS project that would
> require that. Most of the code was written by me, and, in the past
> the other developers that worked on that also agreed on re-licensing
> as LGPL.
>
> So, basically, if gstreamer is willing to use libdvbv5, we'll
> relicense it to LGPL.

I have volunteered to rewrite the DVB plugin for GStreamer and proposed
use of libdvbv5, a proposal which was stated as being entirely
acceptable, but only if libdvbv5 was LGPL. So if libdvbv5 becomes an
LGPL library, my rewrite of the GStreamer DVB plugin will certainly use
it. I will then put forward my rewrite for incorporation into the
GStreamer bad plugins (seriously misnamed library, but…).

--
Russel.

* Re: libdvbv5 licencing
@ 2016-04-19 19:36     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2016-04-19 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russel Winder; +Cc: DVB_Linux_Media, Sebastian Dröge

Em Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:40:55 +0100
Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> escreveu:

> On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 11:19 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> […]
>
> > Yes. We had some discussions in the past to re-license it to LGPL,
> > if this is going to be used by some other OSS project that would
> > require that. Most of the code was written by me, and, in the past
> > the other developers that worked on that also agreed on re-licensing
> > as LGPL.
> >
> > So, basically, if gstreamer is willing to use libdvbv5, we'll
> > relicense it to LGPL.
>
> I have volunteered to rewrite the DVB plugin for GStreamer and proposed
> use of libdvbv5, a proposal which was stated as being entirely
> acceptable, but only if libdvbv5 was LGPL. So if libdvbv5 becomes an
> LGPL library, my rewrite of the GStreamer DVB plugin will certainly use
> it. I will then put forward my rewrite for incorporation into the
> GStreamer bad plugins (seriously misnamed library, but…).

License changed.

Mauro

[-- Attachment #2: Assinatura digital OpenPGP --]

* Re: libdvbv5 licencing
@ 2016-04-22  8:25       ` Russel Winder
From: Russel Winder @ 2016-04-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: DVB_Linux_Media, Sebastian Dröge