* Confusion about API: please clarify
@ 2018-04-10 10:43 Josef Wolf
From: Josef Wolf @ 2018-04-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello,

The linuxtv wiki pages state that the current v5 API (also called S2API) is
tag/value based:

  https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_Linux_DVB_API_history_and_future
  https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S2API

But in the API documentation (version 5.10), I can't find anything that looks
like tag/value.

Can anyone clarify, what the current state of the API is and where to find
up-to-date documentation?

Thanks!

--
Josef Wolf
jw@raven.inka.de

* Re: Confusion about API: please clarify
@ 2018-04-10 14:58 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2018-04-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Wolf; +Cc: linux-media

Em Tue, 10 Apr 2018 12:43:27 +0200
Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> The linuxtv wiki pages state that the current v5 API (also called S2API) is
> tag/value based:
>
>   https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_Linux_DVB_API_history_and_future
>   https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S2API
>
> But in the API documentation (version 5.10), I can't find anything that looks
> like tag/value.

That refers basically to DVB frontend API. Please see:
	https://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis-new/uapi/dvb/dvbproperty.html

> Can anyone clarify, what the current state of the API is and where to find
> up-to-date documentation?

The updated documentation for all media APIs we maintain are always at:

		https://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis-new/

It is updated daily as new features are added at the source code.

Thanks,
Mauro

* Re: Confusion about API: please clarify
@ 2018-04-10 19:14   ` Josef Wolf
From: Josef Wolf @ 2018-04-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

On Di, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:58:15 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Tue, 10 Apr 2018 12:43:27 +0200
> Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> escreveu:
> >
> > The linuxtv wiki pages state that the current v5 API (also called S2API) is
> > tag/value based:
> >
> >   https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_Linux_DVB_API_history_and_future
> >   https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S2API
> >
> > But in the API documentation (version 5.10), I can't find anything that looks
> > like tag/value.
>
> That refers basically to DVB frontend API. Please see:
> 	https://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis-new/uapi/dvb/dvbproperty.html

Thanks for the clarification, Mauro!

So all the other "subsystems" (like demux device etc/pp) still use the struct
based API?

What about DiSEqC? struct dvb_diseqc_master_cmd seems to still be limited to 6
bytes. With Unicable/JESS longer sequences are needed. Especially for configuring
multiswitches, sequences of up to 16 bytes are needed. How would this be done
with the limitation to 6 bytes?

@ 2018-04-10 20:22     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2018-04-10 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Wolf; +Cc: linux-media

Em Tue, 10 Apr 2018 21:14:23 +0200
Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> escreveu:

> On Di, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:58:15 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Tue, 10 Apr 2018 12:43:27 +0200
> > Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> escreveu:
> > >
> > > The linuxtv wiki pages state that the current v5 API (also called S2API) is
> > > tag/value based:
> > >
> > >   https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_Linux_DVB_API_history_and_future
> > >   https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S2API
> > >
> > > But in the API documentation (version 5.10), I can't find anything that looks
> > > like tag/value.
> >
> > That refers basically to DVB frontend API. Please see:
> > 	https://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis-new/uapi/dvb/dvbproperty.html
>
> Thanks for the clarification, Mauro!
>
> So all the other "subsystems" (like demux device etc/pp) still use the struct
> based API?

Yes.

> What about DiSEqC? struct dvb_diseqc_master_cmd seems to still be limited to 6
> bytes. With Unicable/JESS longer sequences are needed. Especially for configuring
> multiswitches, sequences of up to 16 bytes are needed. How would this be done
> with the limitation to 6 bytes?

DiSEqC uses stuct-based ioctl.

There is a provision to add support for it via S2API, but this was not
implemented yet.

That's said, adding suport for DiSEqC with more than 6 bytes should
likely be enabled driver per driver, after checking that the device
supports it.

For example, cx24123 seems to reserve only 6 registers for
messages (from cx24123.c driver, at cx24123_regdata[] table):

        {0x2c, 0x00}, /* DiSEqC Message (0x2c - 0x31) */

Register 0x33 is used for interrupts.
        {0x33, 0x00}, /* Interrupts off (0x33 - 0x34) */
        {0x34, 0x00},

So, clearly this device won't be able to support longer DiSEqC
messages.

Regards,
Mauro

* Re: Confusion about API: please clarify
@ 2018-04-12 12:52       ` Josef Wolf
From: Josef Wolf @ 2018-04-12 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

On Di, Apr 10, 2018 at 05:22:39 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> That's said, adding suport for DiSEqC with more than 6 bytes should
> likely be enabled driver per driver, after checking that the device
> supports it.

Do you know which length saa7146/stv0299 could do?

--
Josef Wolf
jw@raven.inka.de