* vimc: Add color descriptions to test image
@ 2020-06-01 13:53 Kaaira Gupta
From: Kaaira Gupta @ 2020-06-01 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media
  Cc: Helen Koike, Shuah Khan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, linux-kernel,
	kieran.bingham, laurent.pinchart, Hans Verkuil

Hi!

Currently there is no method to know if the test image generated by vimc
is correct (except for comparing it with a known 'correct' image). So, I
wanted to investigate about a possibility to add text to each color bar
of the generated pattern. I think currently vivid supports this
functionality as an optional control, so can we move it to a common
platform so that both VIVID and VIMC can supoort it?

Thanks,
Kaaira

* Re: vimc: Add color descriptions to test image
@ 2020-06-01 16:36 ` Helen Koike
From: Helen Koike @ 2020-06-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaaira Gupta, linux-media
  Cc: Shuah Khan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, linux-kernel, kieran.bingham,

On 6/1/20 10:53 AM, Kaaira Gupta wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Currently there is no method to know if the test image generated by vimc
> is correct (except for comparing it with a known 'correct' image). So, I
> wanted to investigate about a possibility to add text to each color bar
> of the generated pattern. I think currently vivid supports this
> functionality as an optional control, so can we move it to a common
> platform so that both VIVID and VIMC can supoort it?
>
> Thanks,
> Kaaira

If it is useful I don't oppose, but I'm not sure how this is implemented
in vivid (or if it is in tpg).
I guess it is easier to judge from an RFC code :)

Regards,
Helen

* vimc: Add color descriptions to test image
@ 2020-06-01 18:06   ` Kaaira Gupta
From: Kaaira Gupta @ 2020-06-01 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helen Koike
  Cc: Kaaira Gupta, linux-media, Shuah Khan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab,
	linux-kernel, kieran.bingham, laurent.pinchart, Hans Verkuil

On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 01:36:59PM -0300, Helen Koike wrote:

> On 6/1/20 10:53 AM, Kaaira Gupta wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Currently there is no method to know if the test image generated by vimc
> > is correct (except for comparing it with a known 'correct' image). So, I
> > wanted to investigate about a possibility to add text to each color bar
> > of the generated pattern. I think currently vivid supports this
> > functionality as an optional control, so can we move it to a common
> > platform so that both VIVID and VIMC can supoort it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kaaira
> >

> If it is useful I don't oppose, but I'm not sure how this is implemented
> in vivid (or if it is in tpg).
> I guess it is easier to judge from an RFC code :)

I am sorry for the confusion. Kieran pointed it out to me that vivid
does not print the values of colors to check if they are right or not.
It prints other useful information. As for vimc we want the order of
test image color to be printed so that it can be checked if the visible
order is correct.

@ 2020-06-02 23:26   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2020-06-02 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helen Koike
  Cc: Kaaira Gupta, linux-media, Shuah Khan, Mauro Carvalho Chehab,
	linux-kernel, kieran.bingham, Hans Verkuil

Hi Helen,

On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 01:36:59PM -0300, Helen Koike wrote:
> On 6/1/20 10:53 AM, Kaaira Gupta wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Currently there is no method to know if the test image generated by vimc
> > is correct (except for comparing it with a known 'correct' image). So, I
> > wanted to investigate about a possibility to add text to each color bar
> > of the generated pattern. I think currently vivid supports this
> > functionality as an optional control, so can we move it to a common
> > platform so that both VIVID and VIMC can supoort it?
>
> If it is useful I don't oppose, but I'm not sure how this is implemented
> in vivid (or if it is in tpg).
> I guess it is easier to judge from an RFC code :)

To add a bit of context, we've had incorrect code in qcam (libcamera)
for months, with the RGB and BGR formats swapped. I never noticed
because the test pattern doesn't immediately appear wrong when you swap
red and blue. Adding text in the colour bars to tell what colour they
should be would help visual verification of the pattern.

Laurent Pinchart