* Remote "Mouse mode" buttons, Keycode choices, etc.
@ 2019-06-14 14:36 Bastien Nocera
From: Bastien Nocera @ 2019-06-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hey,

I dug out a fair bunch of remote controls I got around 10 years ago[1],
and started trying them all out.

I bumped into a couple of problems:

- the Snapstream Firefly remote ([2] using the rc-snapstream-firefly
keymap and the ati_remote protocol) creates 2 input device nodes, one
for the remote keys, one for the mouse mode. The mouse button on the
remote just sends KEY_MODE, and doesn't change the mode, nothing is
ever sent on the mouse device node

- the Streamzap remote ([3]) uses KEY_NUMERIC_[0-9] keycodes, just like
a small minority of other devices. Is there any reason for them not to
use KEY_[0-9] instead? Or for all of them to use KEY_NUMERIC_*, for
consistencies' sake. I can send patches for those.

- Some receivers (raw IR ones) can be used to support more remotes than
just the one they came with. Is there documentation on doing that? (I
have a Windows MCE, XBox 360 and Sony "universal" remote that I'd like
to make work with the Streamzap receiver)

Cheers

[1]: http://www.hadess.net/2010/05/my-new-toys.html
[2]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Snapstream_Firefly
[3]: https://kodi.wiki/view/Streamzap_PC_Remote

* Re: Remote "Mouse mode" buttons, Keycode choices, etc.
@ 2019-06-16 16:58 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-06-16 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Nocera; +Cc: linux-media

Hi!

> I dug out a fair bunch of remote controls I got around 10 years ago[1],
> and started trying them all out.
>
> I bumped into a couple of problems:
>
> - the Snapstream Firefly remote ([2] using the rc-snapstream-firefly
> keymap and the ati_remote protocol) creates 2 input device nodes, one
> for the remote keys, one for the mouse mode. The mouse button on the
> remote just sends KEY_MODE, and doesn't change the mode, nothing is
> ever sent on the mouse device node
>
> - the Streamzap remote ([3]) uses KEY_NUMERIC_[0-9] keycodes, just like
> a small minority of other devices. Is there any reason for them not to
> use KEY_[0-9] instead? Or for all of them to use KEY_NUMERIC_*, for
> consistencies' sake. I can send patches for those.

This may be a bit of fun; consistency is good but this will change behaviour for people,
right?

So.. be careful :-).

* Re: Remote "Mouse mode" buttons, Keycode choices, etc.
@ 2019-06-21 11:39   ` Bastien Nocera
From: Bastien Nocera @ 2019-06-21 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: linux-media

On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 18:58 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I dug out a fair bunch of remote controls I got around 10 years
> > ago[1],
> > and started trying them all out.
> >
> > I bumped into a couple of problems:
> >
> > - the Snapstream Firefly remote ([2] using the rc-snapstream-
> > firefly
> > keymap and the ati_remote protocol) creates 2 input device nodes,
> > one
> > for the remote keys, one for the mouse mode. The mouse button on
> > the
> > remote just sends KEY_MODE, and doesn't change the mode, nothing is
> > ever sent on the mouse device node
> >
> > - the Streamzap remote ([3]) uses KEY_NUMERIC_[0-9] keycodes, just
> > like
> > a small minority of other devices. Is there any reason for them not
> > use KEY_[0-9] instead? Or for all of them to use KEY_NUMERIC_*, for
> > consistencies' sake. I can send patches for those.
>
> This may be a bit of fun; consistency is good but this will change
> behaviour for people,
> right?
>
> So.. be careful :-).

I'm not really sure how one can be "careful" doing that.

You can check this patch to lirc from 2008 to see what it might end up
looking like ;)
https://people.redhat.com/bnocera/lirc-fix-remote-keycodes.patch

It doesn't really answer my question about whether this discrepancy was
intended though.

* Re: Remote "Mouse mode" buttons, Keycode choices, etc.
@ 2019-06-22 17:56     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-06-22 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Nocera; +Cc: linux-media

On Fri 2019-06-21 13:39:39, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 18:58 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > I dug out a fair bunch of remote controls I got around 10 years
> > > ago[1],
> > > and started trying them all out.
> > >
> > > I bumped into a couple of problems:
> > >
> > > - the Snapstream Firefly remote ([2] using the rc-snapstream-
> > > firefly
> > > keymap and the ati_remote protocol) creates 2 input device nodes,
> > > one
> > > for the remote keys, one for the mouse mode. The mouse button on
> > > the
> > > remote just sends KEY_MODE, and doesn't change the mode, nothing is
> > > ever sent on the mouse device node
> > >
> > > - the Streamzap remote ([3]) uses KEY_NUMERIC_[0-9] keycodes, just
> > > like
> > > a small minority of other devices. Is there any reason for them not
> > > use KEY_[0-9] instead? Or for all of them to use KEY_NUMERIC_*, for
> > > consistencies' sake. I can send patches for those.
> >
> > This may be a bit of fun; consistency is good but this will change
> > behaviour for people,
> > right?
> >
> > So.. be careful :-).
>
> I'm not really sure how one can be "careful" doing that.

You could do an config option and then pretend breakage is user
decision, for example.

Or better just change it and see what happens.

> You can check this patch to lirc from 2008 to see what it might end up
> looking like ;)
> https://people.redhat.com/bnocera/lirc-fix-remote-keycodes.patch
>
> It doesn't really answer my question about whether this discrepancy was
> intended though.

Probably not intended.
									Pavel

* Re: Remote "Mouse mode" buttons, Keycode choices, etc.
@ 2019-06-24 11:36       ` Bastien Nocera
From: Bastien Nocera @ 2019-06-24 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: linux-media

On Sat, 2019-06-22 at 19:56 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Fri 2019-06-21 13:39:39, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Sun, 2019-06-16 at 18:58 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > This may be a bit of fun; consistency is good but this will
> > > change
> > > behaviour for people,
> > > right?
> > >
> > > So.. be careful :-).
> >
> > I'm not really sure how one can be "careful" doing that.
>
> You could do an config option and then pretend breakage is user
> decision, for example.
>
> Or better just change it and see what happens.

Patch sent :)